modem dial up scream
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modem dial up scream

modem dial up scream

isnt possible to shut down the sound of the modem when it dial up. it really annoying me actually.

In windows : go to control panel click on "modem" then hit "properties" then set the "speaker volume" to off.

Cheers
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

Assalamuailaikum.

Hello y2k, yes, its possible to shut down the sound of ya moderm when dialing.
    check the setting of ya moderm..u should be able to find it there.

For Win9x--Also, u may Go to start>>control panel>>Moderm.
    Then u should be able to set it from there.
    For Winxp--Go to start>>control panel>>Network and Internet Conection, the from here, look towards your left for phone and Moderm options>Moderms>Properties>Moderm>Speaker Volume.
    This should surely help you out.

some progams also have control of these properties, like pcanywhere and aol. you have to turn off the speaker volumes in these programs for this to work.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

simple!

Start>>settings>>controlpanel>>modems:
    now click on the modem you want to set the properties of
    >>properties>>speaker volume

Old Fart
    I fear you may find that the volume control in Win98 is pretty useless. If this is the case then you will have to make a change (set speaker volume to M0) in a modem string to silence the modem. Use the link below for more information on how to accomplish this process, along with a few other handy modem tricks.

http://www.56k.com/inits/
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

i try to go to properties and off the speaker volume but not working, (im currently using win98). but thank to allenb, i surf ur suggestion web right now, hope it working. but if someone have another idea, hope u all post your ideas

If you have one of those modems were you can't turn off the sound with software and you don't mind getting your hands dirty you could rip the little buzzer thing right of the board. A little drastic but once I had a modem that started making I high pitched screeching noise even when not dialing. It came to either throwing out the modem or taking out the buzzer. Always best to try and find a software solution before ripping components out of your board.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

It's good to have the sound though, it helps you identify a problem if you cant dail in (eg. were the dailup stops in a sequence), i'd bear with the pain and leave it.

Thanks,

well i had a similar probelem.....
    ithe screaching sound wouldnt go even after a successful connection@!!!
    my modem worked fine untill i upgraded to winxp.....
    i didnt have the drivers for my connaxant internal 56.6k modem ......so i downloaded generic drivers......
    and thats when the probelem started.........
    i tried all the possible software solutions....none of them helped!
    the only solution i had was to take the modem to an engineer and i asked him to disconnect the speakers......
    buying M$ OS is like ordering a soup where u gotta pay extra for the bowl and spoon....and each time u order something new u gotta pay a huge amount for a new table!!!