Need some help....FAST!

Thread: Need some help....FAST!

Need some help....FAST!

My head is ready to explode! I recently had a users machine at my desk, and needed to reinstall win2k on there. Well I got all his data in one folder to back it up, then promptly forgot to copy the backup folder onto the network somewhere. My dumb ass then re-partitioned, and re-formatted the hdd. Now I'm screwed.

I'm running UNDELETE right now, and its scanning the hdd for the old partitions....still scanning so I hope something comes up.

Anyway, does anyone out there know of any tool that works great? I am in deep **** with this. Anyone have any ideas on how to recover this stuff?

Any help or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I know that this isn't much help, but if you have already partitioned and formatted the drive I think that you are out of luck, dude. Everything I have ever used had to be applied before re-partitioning.

How did you partition it? FDISK?

What about EnCase Forensic Software, as much as we use it for Incident Responce, it has saved our behinds in similiar cases as yours. You always need a back up plan when your working as a consultant, and forensics is our back up plan.

Well I partitioned it using the Win2k setup.

I was running the Undelete software, and it actually detected the old partitions, and all the files in there. I had to buy the commerical version since the demo doesn't allow copying. It looks like it might work out.

Hey Tek, thanks for the EnCase suggestion. If for some reason this doesn't work out, then I'm trying that stuff.
    Thanks again.

I have used with good result a program named "Lost & Found" earlier.. I seems to have missplaced my link and I will remember that they have been bought up by another company or changed name on their software.. Anyway try to do a search on google for Lost & Found or try any of the softwares at http://www.runtime.org/ their software does look like Lost & Found but I dont know how good the programs are.

~micael

<edit>
    Lost & Found from PowerQuest has been discontinued indefinitely.
    </edit>

The Iceman Cometh
    I have been extremely happy with Undelete in the past, myself. It has recovered everything I have ever needed to recover (at least on an NT/2k-based machine, since it doesn't work with 9x). I think it should be able to get everything for you. As for having to buy it... trust me, it's *definately* worth the investment in the long run.

AJ

I have already been in that situation before and i used
    Easy Rcovery Pro .
    I got 15 gb of data back with this !

Sorry, i couldn't link the demo download page directly!

Hey thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it. I got all the data recovered using Uneraser .

Saved my butt!

Thanks again!

I know you already recovered your data but another good tool is .
    FileScavenger .