Thread: dll && sys files

dll && sys files

Hi, recently I have been reading about dll files and their usefullness is becomeing more aparnt to me. I would like to make my own dll's

I have used google and found many resources for dll files, includeing a few tutorials, but the tutorials I found were either writen in Visual Basic or Delphi.

I know it is posible to make dll's with C++ because when I use dev-cpp to creat a new project, One of my options is to creat a dll.

It would be neat if I could learn how to make my own. And I was woundering if someone can point me to a tutorial for creating DLLs with either C or C++,

Sugestions are greatly apreciated.

EDIT: My OS is Windows 98 SE.
    test

What kind of dll do you want to make? There are two types, the ActiveX dll and the regular dll.

The ActiveX has self explaining interfaces. That means you can look at the dll and see its interfaces. The ActiveX can also be called from an ASP-page. The self explaining interfaces is created with the IDE language (Interface Definition Language). It's an XMLish type of language.

The regular dll you need to know the interfaces to use the dll (like win32api). These dlls can't be called from ASP (I think) and it's a little difficult to call them from Visual Basic. To use the dll you have to create a .h-definition file, although many IDEs will create them for you.
    ---
    proactive

Links

I have googled with 'Creating DLLs using C'. Here are a few which may work for you.

Flipcode
    Planet Soure Code
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=210 ۯ

UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. Dennis Ritchie.

Here's a link on how to create an ActiveX server & client using MS VC++ and ATL.
    http://www.codeproject.com/atl/com_atl.asp
    ---
    proactive

Thank you so much, those sites will help me learn to make dlls

I did not know there was two types of DLLs, thank you for explaining that to me...They type I was looking for was the regular DLLs the type that get installed when you are installing new software.

Thanks so much.
    test

Well actually I forgot about one; the .Net dll. And there are probably others.
    ---
    proactive