Mosfet quits KDE.... again.

Thread: Mosfet quits KDE.... again.

Mosfet quits KDE.... again.

<sigh>

It looks like Mosfet (creator of the popular Liquid theme for KDE) has decided to quit KDE and Linux again for the second time in about a year. Seems that this time his problem is Red Hat's controversial treatment of the KDE desktop. I don't remember exactly what it was the last time, but it was something equally lame and he vowed to develop for Windows and never return. Well, look who came back, and I'll bet he'll be back again.
    The issue is they also made several changes to the KDE libraries and programs, some of which cause breakage, incompatibilities, or reduce functionality. In some cases changing code wasn't even needed but RH didn't know better because all the people working on their customized fork never coded KDE before..... Unlike what people like Dennis Powell may think, Linux distributions are not just normal Linux users who can do whatever they want. They are depended upon by both free software developers and their users to deliver free software reasonably intact. RH has broke this trust many times, with a GCC that couldn't even compile the kernel or many other Linux apps, and now with KDE.
    http://www.mosfet.org/
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Heh, so his site is up and running again. Oh, I see he's retiering from the whole Linux scene... Yeah, that Mosfet character is one of a kind. Extremely talented, but doesn't seem to good at handeling that the world spins in it's own direction, not his. Oh well, he's made some great stuff and I hope he'll be back.

As for the controversy, I think KDE will survive if it's a good product. If RH has screwed up the interface, I'm not gonna use RH. If they've improved it alot, the KDE developers are gonna include the RH changes in the next release. They decide. KDE is not dependent on RH, and RH is not dependent on KDE. Simple as that.

I can see Mosfets point though, about Red Hat screwing up the code. I mean, if they changed the structure a lot it's gonna take some time for Mosfet to get used to the new codebase. Reading code & trying to understand it is not extremely fun. But then again the RH changes may not be included in the next release.
    ---
    proactive

Well, it looks like my prediction has come true.... Mosfet has once again returned to Linux and is ready to release some new code.

In my original post in this thread, I decided it would be prudent to delete some very harsh criticism of Mosfet that I had slathered on, but this guy just pisses me off sometimes. He may be a brilliant coder, but this constant string of childish "I'm in, I'm out, I'm back in" behavior is a boil on the ass of the open-source development community. One of these days somebody is going to give him a serious reality check.

http://www.mosfet.org/
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!