Thread: How to set up a National Internet Security System

How to set up a National Internet Security System

Well with all the hot air over internet security issues
    I figure I would post my 2 cents!!! Since I have not see any action locally
    here is how I would st up the command structure....

National Internet Security Advisor

10 regional Directors covering a number of states

1 state director

1 rep from every ISP in that state.
    Limits are that regional ISP's will have only 1 Rep.
    Example AOL will be in Va and MSN will be in Wasington State
    and ISPs that run under different names in different areas
    will still only have 1 rep

Yes I know...sounds like the Ham Radio Zones
    and the local ISP's will not be drown out by the
    big guys.

The ISP's them selves can set up their own local
    group so businesses and personal computer users can
    also have an input pertaining to security.

No Flames but a good broad disscussion will go a long way.
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

With some modification it could work... Would the top spot be a cabinet level position??? one could also use the FEMA regions that Nixon set up in the 70's... I think there were ten... It would be hard for every ISP to have a rep... I think an easier way to go would be to have a couple of reps from the security side for each reigon... then each group gets together and puts together what they think is need for their region in the way of security... Reason being is that each region may not need to have the same type of set up.... Example: Region 1 has A through Z as security already where Region 2 only has A,B, and C.... Region 2 needs more in the way of security than region 1... So region 1 should not have to change their set up if it is already doing the job... I hope I made sense there... What does everyone else think???
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

what happens when someschmuk.net is a local provider but also acts as a gateway for large companies. a large part of his income is provided by the gateway service he provides.

pressure could be put on these type of providers to side with the big guy. now bigshit.com has only one official rep in the state and 126 flunkys
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I can see it working, although around here many isp's are a single individual operation. The one we use is in a town about 15miles north and is run out of the guy's home. Since 1996 when he opened, zero downtime. He's totally independent of the big guys.

I like the idea of an operation like that having the same voice as AOL or MSN. Bigger shouldn't guarantee preferential treatment. I'd insist on something guaranteeing that this would be strictly security and not a foot in the door for Uncle Sam.

cent number 2:

i know you guys are army and all, but i don't think the government should be involved like that. your talking a whole fu*ken infrastructure of government involvment. thats horse ****. Ill do everything i can to oppose it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

How about netforce (does anyone know the Tom Clancy books??)

A big (international) organisation of online law enforcement.

One internation first ammendment for the web.

Regional differenciations are then possible (some country's allow some ****, others don't)

Possibility to punish purpetrators (online (less bandwidth ; ) as well as offline)

And ofcourse good cooperation between them and the "other" agencies (cia/fbi/gkwe*)

* God Knows What Else
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !