XP rollout

Thread: XP rollout

XP rollout

Well I have been trying to delay and XP rollout at my company but it looks like its going to happen soon. My question to the AO community is how good is XP. Ive been avoiding XP like the plague so i really cant say i know to much about it. Now I plan on rolling it out on a test network to see how well it works, if there is anything that i should know about XP in the enterprise id love to hear what everyone else has to say. My biggest concern with XP is security. Ive worked really hard to secure my network, this being my first IT job i kinda went in blind and am still learning a whole lot. So if there are any settings youve done or in general your opinions on XP i would love to hear about it.

By the way Baseball playoffs are beginning on Tuesday October 1st. Lets Go Yankees!

Thanx

-SOIA
    Alright take it ease

I don't have a lot of experience with it, but from what I can see, it seems to be very user-friendly. I think that your users will like it a lot. If you are using AD, you should be able to use the same security policies and what not. Also, you may be able to take advantage of remote desktop if you are using XP Pro. This may be a good tool for your Help Desk folks to use to help users rather than forwarding tickets to you or other support depts. Of course, that depends on how technically proficient they are.

Let us know how it goes whatever happens. I am definitely curious since we may eventually go to it also.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

It should happen within a couple of weeks, so ill definately do a post to tell all how it went. I do have AD setup, so im glad security policies will not have to be changed.
    Alright take it ease

I will assume you will be using XP Pro. If so we have had a small test group testing PRO in our corp environment for about 6 months and have had very little problems. It does take a fairly stout machine to get decent performance and it appears to work well with GPO.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

this goes without saying but check your machine specs and check the latest HCL http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp.
    you might also want to source updated device drivers before the upgrade this could save a few headaches . so are you doing unattended installs?

Just a little hint in case you didn't know...
    If you're installing XP on your network then go with PRO else you will NOT be able to put it on your domain!

XP home edition is WinME the sequel and everyone knows that sequels usually suck. no different here. if you upgrade, do XP Pro, that is your only choice. As it stands, Win2000 is probably the best M$ OS out on the market now. XP Pro, from what i am hearing, is about as secure and fluid as 2000. The difference between XP Home and XP Pro is worlds apart.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Where do we begin.... It's 2k with an obnoxious teletubby-looking gui. there are little bubble things that pop up and tell you very obvious things. The language in the online-help and dialogs is so insultingly dumbed down, you'll feel like you're being treated like a child. All in all it's the ultimate m$ experience
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

ROFLMAO! That was too too funny doktorfoobar! That's interesting; I felt a funky strange teletubby thing goin' on too! Like you said, definitely M$...what do you expect????
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile