Help on Subnetting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on Subnetting

Help on Subnetting

To anybody who could help....

In my cisco class were currently learning subnetting something that really is confusing me right now. Just wondering if anybody know's a site that could simplify it for me or something. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for the help in advance. XTRA

Subnetting

This thread may help you out. Check it out here .

Good Luck

Subnets

To put it pretty simply

Subnetting is used to cut done network traffic

Eg. If you have an accounting dept. an inventory dept and a bunch of architects all on the same network they really have no reason to talk to each other very often(computers) so you break up the network into subnets. This way the traffic stays in a certain area(subnet)
    Subnetting is really used in very large networks or across a WAN.

Hope this helps

The funny thing is once IP version 6 replaces version 4(not sure what happened to 5) we wont have any need for subneting because of the massive amount of ip numbers that will be available. All your networks will be seperated nice an clean at the .

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000.../introipv6.asp
    Its not software piracy. Im just making multiple off site backups.

yes me too....

Im taking cisco right now, but having a hard time figuring it out. Its hard to understand.

I took the ICND class about 2 months ago. I was able to get the subnetting down with some easy methods compiled from different people. Maybe I will write up a tutorial if there isn't already one out there.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Originally posted here by cwk9
    The funny thing is once IP version 6 replaces version 4(not sure what happened to 5) we wont have any need for subneting because of the massive amount of ip numbers that will be available. All your networks will be seperated nice an clean at the .

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000.../introipv6.asp
    I was under the impression that the reason behind subnetting was to reduce overhead on backbone connectivity. Is there some additional functionality in the IPV6 implementation that increases traffic efficiency?
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Subnetting is for routing purposes, not for traffic purposes. Physical seperations in the network are to cut down on traffic, routing allows this to happen, and subnetting is used to simplify the routing tables. So to say subnetting reduces traffic is not correct, you could have 20 computers on a hub on 10 different subnets and it wouldn't do you any good.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

Can I just tell you that I'm stupid? For some dumb reason, I was thinking that subnetting was dividing your network up into more managable groups using routers/hubs/switches. The thing that kills me is that I KNOW what subnetting is...at least I USUALLY do. Hmm...I guess it had just been a long day. Thanks for setting me straight, shkuey.

Note to self: When tired, punchy, and feeling superior, keep mouth shut.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */