Thread: Red Hat Network - RHN

Red Hat Network - RHN

Hey Peeps. I bumped into the Red Hat Network while looking for patches. This is great! It allows you to update your machines with security/update patches in an efficient manner. I put this in the Newbie Forum since I am sure the "old-heads" already knew about it, but I didn't find anything on it when I searched. I originally went to the Red Hat site looking for patches (way too many to apply one by one) , and read a little about the Red Hat Network . Immediately, I tried it out on my test machine, and it works like a charm. Very cool resource. To all the newbies: check it out, it could make your lives a little easier when trying to keep up with updates. It's like the Windows Update to RH Linux. Ok, /me needs to calm down...too excited!

You could also try Ximian's Red Carpet I found this to be better than the RHN, and with Ximian, you don't have to register. If you like RHN then try out red carpet. It might suit your needs a little better.

I am a complete and total Linux newbie running RedHat 7.3. I like the RHN updates, and I really like how Gnome automatically checks for updates, but it is frustrating that you can only have one machine eligible for updates at once. If you have two systems you need to log in to the site and change the active one to update both.

But I guess that's the price you pay for getting it for free.

Cool Sgt_B, thanks for the link. I will have to check it out, especially if you say that it's much better than RHN.

Thanks again.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile