Best book for newbies wanting to learn about Linux?

Thread: Best book for newbies wanting to learn about Linux?

Banned

Best book for newbies wanting to learn about Linux?

What is the best, new book for learning the ins and outs of linux right now? Thanks

Banned
    i say Linux in a Nutshell is good..... covored a wide range of everything.... then if you want to run a service of some sort u can get a spacific book about that

Banned
    The book is from 1999 however. Will this be a problem for me?

Linux in a Nutshell like he recommended is a good book and even though its from 1999 the information is still good, command structures which it covers are slow to change.
    what is love but contempt for hate?

if you mean a new user who wants to learn to use linux, I'd say Complete Idiot's Guide to Linux
    but if you want a complete reference, I like the linux bible

have fun
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

Learning Linux

If you are used to Adminstering a Windows NT/2000 environment, Linux for Windows NT/2000 Administrators would be a good book to start with. It helped me to get started with Linux, and now I am on my way. Read the review; it should give you a good idea what to expect from the book. It even comes with a copy of Mandrake to help you test the ropes. Good luck, and feel free to ask if you ever need help. AO is great for that!

er0k
    well if you want some further info, check out this thread http://www.antionline.com/showthread...564#post570564

its got the best offers in the world for books, errr.. maybe not the world but close.

O'Reilly Books are the the best for *nix.They have a good collection.They are promoting the open source themselves.

these are my favorite books for *nix:

Linux Unleashed
    Linux in Plain English
    Using Linux
    Teach Yourself Linux in 24 Hours
    Linux System Administrator's Survival Guide
    Unix Unleashed 3rd Edition
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------