Thread: Will I have to format my hd to install a linux partion on my c drive?

Will I have to format my hd to install a linux partion on my c drive?

I'm running xp pro now and have 7 gigs saved for a linux partion. The rest of the space is used. I'd like to install linux on that space without losing the data already on the drive. Is this possible? Thanks.

Yes, it is completley possible. . .most disros of linux will have a set-up GUI that you'll be able to specifywhich drive(partition) you want to install linux on. Make sure you make the boot disks and I would recommend not installing a boot loader like Grub or Lilo. Leave the MBR alone, since you've alreay got Xp running and use the boot.ini file to load Linux. . .takes some editing, but it's not much and is easily found on google. . .otherwise if you haven't locked yerself into a specific version of Linux, let me recommend FreeBSD, not quite linux, but INO, better, and the boot loader is alot easier to work with.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Yes, you need to use "Partition Magic" and "System Commander" . Read the related manuals for mor info.

Cheers

Edit > From my AP center:
    henalready has free space, no need for partition magic,
    Sender : Anon

I should mention u that Partionon magic does not free some space for you, I reccomend him Partiotion magic because I thought he might need to set up a new linux partition or may be resizing his partitions. This tow tools are needed for dual booting.
    Second, you may need to learn what these tools do exactly and also some spelling
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

You could use Partitoin Magic, but the linux installation GUI may have a built-in partition program.

When you say you have 7GB "saved" for Linux, does that mean you have 7 GB of unpartitioned space, or that you have 7GB of free space on your Windows partition? If it's the former, the Linux installer will partition the remaining space for you very nicely without touching your Windows partition. If it's the latter, you will either need a partition resizing tool like Partition Magic or you will have to repartition and reformat. If the drive is FAT32, I believe Mandrake's DiskDrake utility will resize it nondestructively, but if it's NTFS (as it should be) you'll need PM.
    I would recommend not installing a boot loader like Grub or Lilo. Leave the MBR alone, since you've alreay got Xp running and use the boot.ini file to load Linux
    I have to disagree. Most popular distributions will autodetect the presence of the Windows partition and configure grub to boot that OS with no user intervention. If you decide to get rid of Linux later, a simple fdisk /mbr will restore the system to its original state.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Mmmmm, I would have to disagree with that, everytime, I've played with any Linux distro(using XP). . .probably not the most recent build, but still. . . .both Lilo and Grub wanna rewrite the MBR, , ,windows throws a fit and won't boot, and you have to go into the recovery console and FIXBOOT just to get windows back up, which also leaves the linux install unusable, unless you made the boot disks.

Either way man, good luck SolidPez, the way I see it, back up the data that you want to keep, throw the dick(whoops, fruedian slip?, I meant disk) in and see what happens, that's how I learned to do the installs.

Hi,
    Let me make sure I understand you. Is the 7 GB free space on your Windows partition? Or is it in a separate, empty partition? If the free space is on your Windows partition you need to take problemchild's advice. If you're using an NTFS Windows XP partition, the partitioning programs that come with Linux distros won't cut it. Get Partition Magic or a cheaper alternative like Paragon Partition Magic (google it) to resize your Windows partition.

ALSO. make sure you defragment your Windows partition before you resize it. Windows has the habit of scattering files around the hard drive. If you resize the partition without defragging you risk messing up your Windows installation.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

check out the attachment
    i hope it helps!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 7 gb is on the windows partion, yes. The file system is NTFS. Thanks for the replies thus far guys.

I'd go with what unle3shed said then. . .I don't think FIPS works on NTFS yet. I've never used partition magic but lots of people say it won't trash the data on your disk. It takes a lot longer but I always start from scratch. I use fdisk to set up the partitions and then let the installs take care of the formatting.