Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats best????

whats best????

hello ppl just a quick post 2 see if any one could help me out a little ive been searching the web for free anti virus downloads as am still fairly new 2 this i dont really know wat is the best for me.so if any of you's could plz help me out it would be great.i found 4 an would b greatfull if any one could tell me if there any good or if there is any others that i should look for.1mail cleaner,2inoculate it,3avg,4vcatch.thanks 2 any on who can help

A search here in the forums would give you loads of information. I personally use Outpost, I've tried Zone Alarm and Sygate and prefer Outpost.

I do recommend spending some time doing a search through the forums here. You will get many sides to many stories of information.

Check this link
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

I think anyone that has an older machine that can atleast run Win95, Win98. Should test the antivirus software with the AntiVirus test files, or dead stran patterns to see how the AV works. It is really hard to find the best, because people base their opinions on so many things, and only very few people test the software to base their opinion on.

I have picked up computers on the side of the road just to use as test machines.

I use Norton (it has never let me down), but it has some problems with Outlook express, like mail getting lost or not able to send.
    But McAfee has the same issues.
    Upgrading to Outlook (MS Office package) solves the problem.

I use AVG by www.grisoft.com It works great on my xp machine and on the wife's 98 box. It's never let us down, updates are free and it's just a great antivirus.

For a firewall, I've got Sygate Pro. I prefer Outpost for the extra features, but it won't handle ICS sharing right now. The next version is supposed to correct that. Either is good. Until the next Outpost comes along, I'll stay with Sygate and use Proxomitron to kill ads, referrers, popups, and other stuff.

cheers chuck cheers everybody.just downloaded avg working perfect thanks for the info.

Protocolman, be sure

to bring it up and check to make sure 'heuristics' is enabled. I don't remember if it's checked or not at start. Other than that, and making sure it's kept updated either automatically or manually, there isn't much else to do.

Old Fart
    Chuck....it's not enabled by default, so that definitly is sage advice you gave. MAKE SURE that "use hueristic scanning" is checked and also make sure that the Outlook Express plug in is turned on.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

AVG works fine, make sure it downloads updates on a regular basis. I also like AnitVir.

U can check for more free ones with ratings at http://www.nonags.com/nonags/antivirus.html
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]