Broandband precatiouns?

Thread: Broandband precatiouns?

Broandband precatiouns?

What should I do before I go online with broadband?

I highly suggest a firewall (you can get ZoneAlarm for free) and good anti-virus software. I use Norton Internet Security 2002 which has a firewall and AV combined. Also, for extra security you can get a router like a SMC Barricade or a Linksys. They are fairly cheap (under $200 Canadian) and offer NAT (Network Adress Translation) and a hardware firewall built in. I use a router and ever since I've installed it, I've never had a real alert on my software firewall since. Basically, with a router, software firewall, and AV you should be off to a good start!
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

Get a firewall. There are some good free firewalls out there, Outpost, Zonealarm is ok. Norton's Personal Firewall has a pretty user-friendly interface but you gotta cough up money for that(info on that here)
    Also get some AV software if you dont have it already, and regularly update your virus definitions.
    Hope that helps some
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

Perhaps this link will help. As we always say here, Google is your friend.

http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_mode...security.shtml
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Banned
    A friend of mine had broad band. Without a firewall covering a connection like that your PC is a big target that says 'ROOTME'.

Alot of times those free firewalls only lightly protect you so once you get one you'll want to go into it's settings and make sure that it is on it's highest security setting.

Old Fart
    If your broadband provider offers a modem/router combo, you definitely should consider that option. If not, then definitely look into adding a router to your system. When looking at software firewalls, make sure you get one that covers outgoing connections as well as incoming connections. I've used Zone Alarm (mentioned above) and when I tested it, it pretty much failed big time. Tiny personal firewall is a good choice ( www.tinysoftware.com ), as is Outpost ( www.agnitum.com ). For anti-virus protection, I'm fond of AVG ( www.grisoft.com ), a free AV with free updates. If you go with AVG, make sure you turn on the hueristic scanning feature for added security. If you want a good all-around source of broadband information and testing tools, check out www.dslreports.com . Enjoy your new fat pipe....you'll never want to go back to dial-up again.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I suggest you to not use p2p softwares permanently. The best protection is and will ever be to not be labeled as a target but to have the behaviors of an anonymous and without any importance user.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

also get a good trojan scanner to from www.moosoft.com or tey tauscan from www.agnitum.com NOTE these are only 30 days trial if you like the software i think its like 30$ to buy which is pretty good if you ask me because the scanners are good tools to have

also look in to intrusion detectiion systems for windows you will be thinking why an IDS easy because like every proggrame firewalls are exploitable
    look here i turned this up on a quick google search just search google for windows IDS or windows intrusion detection systems
    http://www.tlsecurity.net/windows/ids

hope this help
    peace
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/