Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIC card madness

Exclamation NIC card madness

Hello,

Recently, I've been reading up on how to install my NIC cards on Linux Redhat 7.2. I've checked to see if they comply with Linux and they do so now all that i need to do is add the darn drivers. But every frickin time I try to load up the "hardware-manager", it just closed before I can even mess with anything. Is my linux skrewed up. Yes, I am logged in as root too.

Also, do the drivers need to be installed before i can do anything with the network setup. (E.G. load a mounted ethernet card)? If someone could elaborate on any of this at all that would be fabulous.

Sandman

Are you sure it wasn't detected at boot time? give me a lsmod output wouldya?
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

I know that the card has been detected, but I have never been able to check because the hardware manager will always shut down! When I first had the card installed, it ran something at boot-time that started with a "K" I think. And thats when it got installed. Now , i'm a massive newb to linux, so what is lsmod output?

You're talking about kudzu. Do this:
    If you're not root
    $su
    then enter your root password
    next:
    #lsmod
    this will tell you which kernal module you have installed.
    incidentally, what kind of NIC is it?
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    type

lsmod

and it will list all current loaded modules (drivers), your looking for eth0. Thats your nics dev device. To get more info on it type:

modinfo -d mudulehere

just put in the module listing for modulehere and it will tell you what it is. To install a module you type:

insmod module.o

thats about it

OK! guys, is this all done from the console or what? Are you basically telling me how to mount the device? And, it is a Realtek NIC card, I also have a Accton NIC card on board as well (Long story). I'm gunna go give this a try.

Yeah from the console. although, if youre sure kudzu found it, try this:
    $ls -l /dev/eth0
    This ought to tell you if the device exists. If it does you have to run ifconfig to bind it to an IP address.
    Of course, there are tools and wizards and such if you wanna avoid having to do it manually. Try seeing the man pages for ifconfig. There is a good post in this thread here by Problemchild concerning ifconfig:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...375#post571375
    -Bad Religion

doktorf00bar you are incorrect, I'm afraid:

Network cards will never have their devices listed in /dev - this is a common misconception.
    /dev/eth0 should never exist.
    use /sbin/ifconfig eth0 to find out if eth0 exists as a network device

ooo good point! I must have been on drugs when I wrote that! So, yeah, just skip to the ifconfig thing....
    -Bad Religion

Today, I was jacking around in Linux and I just can't seem to get it together. Eth0 doent exist at all. The only place that I can even detect the cards presence is in the "PCI" app, it just tells me the specs on the two ethernet cars. I noticed that the IRQ was 9, and the IO range was there too but it was disabled, so was the memory.

All I need is advice on how to install a network card that was never detected by kudzu. Or perhaps it was and I just can't find it. Good god help me.