ntfs fat 32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ntfs fat 32

ntfs fat 32

Is it compatible to move programs and data files from fat 32 to an ntfs partition, in order to migrate from win 98/me to winxp? The reason for this is I was asked to install winxp pro on a machine running win 98, I wan't to create an ntfs partition (lets say D move all the programs and files there and then format and install winxp in the first partition (C, that way I will have a partition running just the OS and another for programs and data.
    thanks

Yes, as far as I know you can leave the partition with the programs on it as FAT, because XP can understand NTFS, FAT, and FAT32. Oh, and if you have the computer on a network/lan with other 9x machines and you want to share files, you might want to make a FAT32 partition for sharing, because win9x cant understand or "see" NTFS partitions.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Did you mean that you want to take the progs. OFF of the FAT32(win98) drive and move them over to a new NTFS partition, johnny?? You can do it, but alot of Win98 programs and files don't like to be read or run on NTFS. I played with NTFS, just to check out the security features,but put all my programs on a Fat32 partition like Siyinni suggested. I wound up going back to Fat32(BSD won't write right, heh heh(write right) to a NTFS. Good luck though.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

What? There is no "program compatibility" stuff with file systems: the file system is only accessed via system calls to the OS, so if the OS supports the file system all programs will implicitly do too. Now problems may indeed occure if NTFS permission are set too restrictivly on some files that are needed by particular programs, but it's not an "incompatibility"...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

So your tellin' me that you can run all your Win95/98 or DOS games on NT??? I couldn't, hmm. . .why is it, then, that Xp gives you the option to try to run programs in 95/98 compatabiltiy mode?

That IS NOT what I said:

You are confusing NT and NTFS:
    NT is the Operating System.
    NTFS is the NT File System.

So yes, many win95/98 programs have compatibility issues with NT4/W2k, but it is not because of NTFS.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Okay I'll agree with you there, but it's not all that hard to confuse XP/W2K/NT at all since there all pretty darned close. . .or atleast in my understanding of it. And maybe it's just my imagination, but all my programs run without problems when I use a FAT32 fs w/ xp. . .like I said though, could just be my imagination. . .I do agree that the OS is what accesses the file system. . .but isn't there a difference in how the OS does the accessing depending on the type of file system, hmmm??

Old Fart
    If I'm remembering corrrectly, part of the setup process of WinXP will be detection of your partitions....WinXP will give you the option of converting your FAT32 partition to NTFS at this point. Just a friendly FYI.

Also worth noting....an OS using NTFS can recognize and read FAT32, however an OS using FAT32 cannot read NTFS.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Guys this is a stupid nebie question... how do u begin a tread??

Heh heh. . .go to a forum like http://www.antionline.com/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=48 and you'll see a button at the top that says post new thread.