Access database question

Thread: Access database question

Access database question

For my I.T. college homework I have to use the Help facility in Access to find out how to use some functions. But the Help is pretty useless so I would be grateful if anyone could help me with this. The functions are to be performed on a database with the fields: ID, first name, surname, post held, address 1, address 2, address 3,postcode, telephone no, date joined, date of birth.

1. Use the Weekday function to find out who was born on a Saturday or Sunday.
    2. Use Ucase to make a new field where 'address3' is in uppercase.
    3. Use Left$ to find all the people with a HD postcode.
    4. Use Trim to tidy up the post held field.

thanks.

using ao to cheat on your homework?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Have you tried using the knowledge base on the Microsoft site?? It is pretty extensive.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

i wouldn't call it cheating, id call it using my initiative. Seeing as we were told to use Help and help doesn't well...help.
    If i wanted to cheat, i wouldn't have said it was for my homework.

The teacher told the other class that it's too hard for where we are up to, so instead of simply not doing it, i'm making an effort, and this is the only way i'm going to find out.

*edit* and seeing as i've already spent two evenings trying to understand this, first by using Help, then by having a go at it myself, then using Google, I think it's now about time to ask for other people's help.

Isn't that what AO is here for?

I am assuming the table is tablename here.

1. Use the Weekday function to find out who was born on a Saturday or Sunday.
    select * from tablename where weekday(date_of_birth) = saturday or weekday(date_of_birth) = sunday

2. Use Ucase to make a new field where 'address3' is in uppercase.
    Make a new field? - this one doesn't make sense, but ucase works like lcase shown in the eg below.

3. Use Left$ to find all the people with a HD postcode.
    select * from tablename where lcase(left(postcode,2)) = 'hd'

4. Use Trim to tidy up the post held field.
    update tablename set post_held = rtrim(ltrim(postheld))
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Just a note to those who told me to do my own homework and do more research:
    The only reason I asked here was my other research hadn't helped...infact even my teacher couldn't do some of the functions he'd set...maybe in future you should "do a bit more research" before jumping to neg me.
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

djhuk --

The first rule of antipoints is we do not talk about antipoints.
    The second rule of antipoints is that we do not talk about antipoints.
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Banned
    That (what ntsa said) and the fact that, IMHO, it seem's like you are cheating on your homework. If your not, I'm sorry, it just seem's like you are. Like ntsa, Don't talk about antipoints and don't whine over negative antipoints.