Thread: telnet....?

telnet....?

hi! today my friend tell me about telnet. Is there any one who could ecplain what the telnet is actually used for and what's are TERM TYPES in connection bar of telnet in win98 OS? I've tried to connect the telnet at severel ports but each time its immediately get disconnected. what's the actuall reason of this.? i hope for some good response.

I am not sure I am understanding you correctly, but the reason you are immediately getting disconnected may be that there is no telnet server listening for a connection on the other side. Maybe we could help more if you give a little more information like: what are you actually typing to attempt the connection and what are you trying to connect to?
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

The Iceman Cometh
    t2k2 has a point. You can't connect to something which doesn't have a terminal server running.

Basically, all telnet is, is a terminal emulator used to connect to a terminal server (such as a UNIX terminal or a Windows terminal). All it really does is allow you command access to whatever you are given access to with your permissions. I, for instance, use a Telnet-type program to contect to various client networks, my university's UNIX server and access my network remotely. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's pretty useless unless you have something on the other end to connect to.

AJ

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.c...213116,00.html

----

Telnet is the way you can access someone else's computer, assuming they have given you permission. (Such a computer is frequently called a host computer.) More technically, Telnet is a user command and an underlying TCP/IP protocol for accessing remote computers. On the Web, HTTP and FTP protocols allow you to request specific files from remote computers, but not to actually be logged on as a user of that computer. With Telnet, you log on as a regular user with whatever privileges you may have been granted to the specific application and data on that computer.
    A Telnet command request looks like this (the computer name is made-up):

telnet the.libraryat.whatis.edu
    The result of this request would be an invitation to log on with a userid and a prompt for a password. If accepted, you would be logged on like any user who used this computer every day.
    Telnet is most likely to be used by program developers and anyone who has a need to use specific applications or data located at a particular host computer.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Banned
    Yeah, pretty much what they said is what Telnet is. Telnet isn't used much these day's, SSH (Secure Shell) is used more.

Bear in mind telnet is more then just a client/server. It is a very commonly used protocol used for lots of things.
    read the RFC for the standard here:
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc854.html

It's a step above raw tcpip in that it utilizes standard control signals. IRC, for instance, actually functions via the telnet protocol. It is in reality, far from obsoleted.
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

in a pinch or if you have a grudge against yourself or just want to learn, you can use telnet to read and send mail.

it was also commonly used to connect to many bbs's.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

er0k
    a good place for you to hang out, would be to telnet cyberspace.org

get familiar with the bbs, the email and stuff. you get a free email acct, text based and you can use pine. which is a cool email program (console based). but it will help you get familiar with telnet. have fun.

Well , I'd Say that you keep getting disconnected , because the telnet service on the computer your telnetting into doesn't have a telnet server up and listening . The thing about telnet is that when you don't specify any ports , it automatically telnets to port 23 (telnet port). In the future you'll hear alot about SSH (secure shell) , Which is different than telnet , because your user id and password are encrypted across the line , so therefore it is more secure than telnet. But until then , pick up a book on tcp/ip.
    Later.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."