View Poll Results: How much you like the Article?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellenta!

0 0%
  • V Good

3 25.00%
  • Good

3 25.00%
  • Average

0 0%
  • Below Average

1 8.33%
  • Poor

1 8.33%
  • It Stinks

4 33.33%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antionline Community

Banned
    Real name is Aaron. My age is 17
    I started out with a windows 95 when I was about 10 years old.
    I was about 13 when I quit going to school.
    My parents were rarely around so I spent most of my time infront of screens.
    And I quickly became bored and deppressed but I was slowly discovering JAVA, HTML, VB, & C++.
    Then I started to showoff my creations to the other kids in my clan & shareing source code with other peaple. Thats when I was brought to this site.

Hopefully I'll be getting my G.E.D. soon and I can turn some of my hobbies into a job. lol

Hmmm...... well, since I never did a Roll Call when I joined up, this seems like an apt place to tell you guys a little about myself.

I'm 31 years old, never married, and no kids. I've been an attorney for the last 3 years, and I practice mainly in the area of real property. I specialized in intellectual property (copyright, trademark, trade secret, antitrust, etc) in law school, although circumstances conspired to prevent me from landing a job in that field after graduation. Computers have been my hobby for the last 20 years, 10 years of which have been serious and made me a little money on the side. I'm currently considering a career change into the computer field.

I don't carry any certifications and have no formal training in the computer field, aside from one Pascal class in college. I'm entirely self-taught. I admined a couple of student labs on campus to work my way through law school, and that's my only formal work experience in computers.

My first computer was a TRS-80 Color Computer II with 16k of RAM, and then I moved up to an IBM XT with DOS 3.3 in the mid-80s. I learned how to write batch files on that system, but that was about as far as my programming skills ever got. I got serious about computers in 1993 with my 486DX/33 and Windows 3.1. It didn't take long for me to realize the limitations of Win 3.1, so I started looking at alternative OSes and have never looked back. I downloaded TAMU Linux and Slackware around 1993/4, and I bought a copy of OS/2 Warp when it came out in 1994. I was heavily involved with OS/2 and did beta/gamma testing of OS/2 products for IBM in the mid 90s, particularly speech recognition software that was eventually included in OS/2 v.4.

When it became apparent that OS/2 was a dead-end platform around 1997, I switched to Linux, and it has been my platform of choice ever since. Windows has always been around me and I've used every version there's ever been, but I've never been particularly interested in it and I hardly ever touch it these days. I flip-flopped around between Red Hat and Mandrake for a while, before getting totally hooked on Gentoo the first time I tried it. I can't see myself ever leaving Gentoo unless Daniel Robbins and company just totally tank it somehow.

So that's my story. Like I said, I'm considering a career change, so if anybody knows of a Linux opening for a bored lawyer, hit me up.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Like you problemchild I was remiss in announcing a Roll Call way back when .... well any case time to remedy that.

I am a proud member of the 'Old d00ds' Club, married, two kids, mortgage - the whole nine yards.

I have been in law enforcement for more years than I care to remember or even think about.

I have no formal qualifications and am self taught on all aspects of my computer usage which includes Linux, but should some life situations changes (no mortgage) I would love to go out and obtain some formal education with the view of a career change, leaning towards IT.

I started out many years ago on an old C64 and the rest is sort of history - I have never been far from a computer since as they fascinate me.

I am mainly here to learn, ensure my home system is secure and lend a hand where ever I possibly can. I do visit daily although I tend to read more than post as my skill level pales against a lot of people here.

Thats about it in a nutshell.

I would like to appreciate for the poll.

This is Neo, 26, a Computer Science Student.

First encounter with the keyboard: April 28, 1993.

Then: a 80286 machine with floppy booting enabled used to practice MS-DOS.

Now: P4, 512 RAM, 40GB, 17" LG Flatron, WinXP+Linux.

Programming Languages: C, C++, VB

Dream domain: Artificial Intelligence.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=210 ۯ

UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. Dennis Ritchie.

Guys, this is a fantastic response. i feel like i know you guys (and gurls) more already. Geez, well i didnt say much about myself in the opening post so i will start again and expand on it.

My name is Matt Halliday and I am 17 (well on friday the 4th neway...). I consider myself to be a late starter to computers as i didnt own a computer until i was 13. Since then, i have been madly programming stuff im all sorts of languages such as pascal, delphi, c++, html, js, asp etc etc and so on. I have 4 weeks of school to go (it will take forever) then of to uni i go doing Computer Science and Info Tech. At school the best subject by far is IT. My teacher is sooo smart and geeky (grey hair, the glasses, beard, you know ). He is the one person that has inspired me to learn Linux and go by the open-source ethic, as mum and dad find it hard to turn a computer on. Oh, and also i remember the first computer i came into contact with, it was an old mac at school in 1995.

Thanks guys, keep these posts rolling in....

I m turning 18 this year well i really have the greatest interest in computers ive started using computer while im in grade school only platform that time is MS-DOS im ammused of what computer had done in our life how it changes our technology rapidly, now im in college im taking up different course (chemical) and also learning to imy mom told me once to shift into computer course coz she knows that im good at it but somhow i really like the other course im taking up right now but computer is part of my life i cant i cant some times if i have problem i turn to my computer and connect to the net all nyt long
    hehehehehehe

I am almost 21 and have only really gotten into computers over the past couple years. I wanted to be a sportswriter but after being on the newspaper, I didn't want to put up with power hungry editors that give fluff stories instead of better things like salary cap issues. Athletes give the worst interviews because they can't offend anyone and by the time they are in high school they already have their speech down. Plus, being female, I notice that most of the other female sports "reporters" do not know what they are talking about and are just there to look pretty for the camera instead of doing truly decent investigative work.