Government sponsered P2P???

Thread: Government sponsered P2P???

Old Fart

Government sponsered P2P???

Heh.....I'm sitting here shaking my head on this one. Our (US) government, who was recently pulled into the P2P fray with the Berman "Hollywood Hacking" bill, who instituted the DMCA, is funding researching ways to implement an ultra-secure P2P network that will be invulnerable to the very types of DDOS attacks that the RIAA and MPAA are pressing so desperately to use. I can't wait to see the RIAA's reaction to this. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. They could be wasting precious resources on worse things, like researching how wearing contact lenses will get you laid more often, as detailed here.

Sometimes you just gotta love watching those tax dollars (or pounds) at work....
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Your tax dollars at work.....

This isn't unique. It's just like subsidizing tobacco farmers with billions of tax dollars, then spending an equal fortune on ad campaigns to get people not to smoke.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Al, we are in the US. We love to waste dollars and go deeper in debt and let the real criminals run loose. The thing is, money is what makes the world go 'round and RIAA, MPAA and software companies=money for contributions, votes and more. It's a "scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" country.

Not that making money is a bad thing mind you, but the RIAA and MPAA have to understand why they are not making money: There is not much to keep us entertained anymore. The quality and originality of music has slumped to new levels, movies are not really good, and they blame it on p2p.

Not that p2p is out of the picture or blameless here. p2p and piracy has never went away; it's just available at staggering new levels, and the industry does not know what to do. Somewhere in the middle something's gotta give, and I am waiting on that day. But I am almost certain money will previal.