Active Directory File Sharing

Thread: Active Directory File Sharing

Question Active Directory File Sharing

Hello All. I have a question regarding file sharing. I have just deployed Active Directory Enterprise wide, and i must say it is running better than i thought. My question is as follows:

Is there a way to not show a file share if the user doesn't have access to it.
    For example i have a share on my fileserver only for admins. Now nobody can get into this folder except for admin, is there a way that nobody can view this folder except for admins????

Your help as always is truely appreciated.

Thanx

-SOIA
    Alright take it ease

You could restrict access to the folder that is one level above this share: for example, you may have a folder called test that contains another folder shared as "soia." If you restrict permission at the test folder to prevent anyone but Admins from getting to soia, they won't see it that way. However, they may still be able to see it, but not get into it, if they pull up all shares on the server on which the desired share resides like so: from a run prompt > \\servername, this will bring up all visible shares on that server. One way around this would be to append a "$" to the end to make it a hidden share, and give your Admins the path to the share so they know how to get to it. I hope this helps.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

So if add the $ to the share than nobody can see it, including admins????

Cool it worked. Thanx for the help.
    Alright take it ease

I beleive when you create a folder with the $ sign, no users will be able to see it, but it is not hidden on the Domain Controller.
    Condor