satellite internet

Thread: satellite internet

Question satellite internet

hi all satellite internet can some one tell me the pros and cons aboit it ? and is it worth getin cuse i cant get dsl or cable where i live
    [shadow]I Have Not Failed I Have Just Fond 10,000 Ways It Will Not Work[/shadow][

Are you talking about a dish that can upload to the sat or the system that only receives and has to use a phone line to send requests?

The system that needs a phone line is not worth it in my mind...
    The system that can beam to the sat looks promising although a bit expensive to my likings.
    You must also consider the latency in the later system, it is not for playing Quake as there is a latency causes by the distance the signal has to travel to get to the sat and back at you.

I hope this helps
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

Yes it helps some I Am plain on getin The One that uploads to a beam and that anmd could i play starcraft or diablo2 with out any problems than ???
    [shadow]I Have Not Failed I Have Just Fond 10,000 Ways It Will Not Work[/shadow][

Here is what Starband says :

Why doesn't my multiplayer game (voice/video over IP, VPN) work well over the StarBand connection?
    Certain applications are not best suited for a satellite-delivered environment, such as voice/video over IP, VPN services, certain interactive games, and applications using non-TCP/IP protocols (such as IPX/SPX). It is very possible that the particular game you are interested in installing is one that is not suitable for satellite-delivered internet.

If I were you, I would inquire with the company before going ahead with the purchase... Ask them if your games would perform before buying or even ask them to do a test at their store with your game... I do not know if it would be much worse then the lag you sometimes get on a 56k modem though.
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

Old Fart
    A good friend of mine has satellite internet service, and it smokes my DSL MOST of the time. It is subject to fluctuations in bandwith related to the number of users at any given moment, and the upload speeds, if you REALLY work hard at tweaking the settings, are dual ISDN equivilents at best. When it comes to online gaming, forget it....the latency (time the signal takes to get from the ground station to the satellite and back to your PC) makes online gaming unbearable, and you will get your ass killed frequently cause that bullet hit you 5 seconds before you even saw the gun pointed at you.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

have you checked with all the dsl providers. i know roadrunner and covad service areas the telcos will not.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Starband... I have one for sale...

I was a Starband Dealer.... No More... DSL wips t to shreads....
    Ping is terrible... You have to proxie to network.
    If you cannot get hi-speed...then Starband is for you...
    I have one I used for about a year for sale.... if there are any takers...
    I have $500 into my unit....
    Download is can be from 200-400k where I get 768k on a Tier 2 ADSL
    upload is 15k, DSL tier 2 is 256k up here,,,
    Price is about the same for DSL Tier 2 ....
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

eh for a while I had no other option but to go with Hughes service through Earthlink.

In reality, it wasnt that bad overall... it does require a proxy, it does not require a modem, and it does reach decent speeds most the time

it's more reliable than people make it out to be... but a lot less reliable than I care for if that makes any sense... the speed fluctuates constantly... although disconnects (from my service) were rare, the fluctuating speed was a major pain in the arse.

If its all you can get... get it.... if theres another option... go with option
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

yha well i dont play thos gun buttlet games yha i checks all teh dsl none can get where i live i play games like C&C red 2 i think thos mite work and is tehre not laency witha norm modem anyway ?? csue if fuluxs so much

thx for your help all

No multiplayer games work will Sattelite.

There are two types

A)1 way. Where downloads a uber fast but uploads are slow. This is idea for sharing internet with mutilple users surfing the net. Not Gaming, nor uploading files.

There is also a limit on this too. No more than 350 megs of files per hour or your capped for 24 hours at 56k speeds.

Since your modem needs to "send" data (upload) you need a 2nd phone line for Internet or useyour current one.

B)Two way, does not require phone line and has upload and download very fast. However, gmaes like Counter-Strike, Quake, Age of Kings, Everquest etc etc. Will not work and they discourage gaming play with the sattleite connection.

File sharing is also "agasinst policies... so get that out of your head if you want to download all the cool videos and music. Because its against their policy and they can terminate you.