Thread: Phone Phreaking

Phone Phreaking

Everybody has probably heard of the famous boxes that makes it possible of listening to youre neighbour 's phone calls ,
    Well I've read so many things about phone phreaking ( mostly txt written by american phreakers ) that i started to wonder if it is now a days still possbile , and is it onl possible in the usa , or also here ( in Belgium )

sincerely

Just a question, but why would you want to listen to your neighbors' calls? Just my opinion, but phreaking in general is a somewhat distasteful way to spend time.

Is there some value to being able to listen to your neighbors' calls that I am missing?

I might be wrong, but I believe the US has changed to digital switches that makes many of the boxes unable to work because you can't listen to the switching tones. However, I heard they will still work in Canada.

mmm wel redbone , probably my mistake , listening to youre neighbours was just an excample , you can do a lot more , you can get the police on the wrong track by making youre telephone untabable ( so they cant listen to youre ocnverstaions ) you can call free from public cell phone ....
    its just fun , you dont have to do something wrong with the technique , did you never wonder what happens when the line is occupied , when you hear a strange beep when youre calling someone , you never wonder what number is 0485111111 and stuff like that ???

well i do , you can have youre own opinion offcourse , but there are a lot more things you can do with a box...
    thats why you also have many ( almost uncountable ) different numbers of boxes

the phone system is a very interesting network. i've always enjoyed reading text files of old phreakers and captain crunch stories. if you're interested you can find back issues of 2600 at their website, they are incredibly interesting and fun to read. http://www.2600.org/

but unfortunately just about all exchanges in the united states use electracal switching systems (ess) which makes practically all of those colored boxes useless, and it's pretty easy for them to track you down if you use them.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Hmm...not to slam the door on you, pierreke77, but you may be in the wrong place for this kind of question. Allow me to explain:

you can get the police on the wrong track by making youre telephone untabable ( so they cant listen to youre ocnverstaions )
    any reason the police would be tapping your phone?
    you can call free from public cell phone ....
    that would be s-t-e-a-l-i-n-g
    its just fun
    okay...here, go have phun
    you dont have to do something wrong with the technique , did you never wonder what happens when the line is occupied , when you hear a strange beep when youre calling someone , you never wonder what number is 0485111111 and stuff like that ???
    if you just want to know how it used to work, it would be safer if you would just try reading a book

Honest, I'm not trying to be rude, but there's very little that discussions on how to cheat the phone company have to offer a security community. However, best of luck in your pursuits.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */