Thread: Redhat 5.2 Good?

It's a gas!

Redhat 5.2 Good?

Hi guys

Just got around to installing my first Linux distro last night ;D

Any distro i have seen or read about seems to have a GUI but i cant seem to find or use these GUI's.

Question is is Redhat 5.2 any good in comparison to the other updated distros and if so, where do i find this GUI?

I have read some documentation from Redhats website but this didnt make alot of sense.

Please bear with me here, first timer n all

Thanx in advance

r3b00+

ps Had to install 5.2 as couldnt wait to download anything better

Hello..

RH 5.2 was good at the time.
    RH 8.0 just got out (09/30/02), you should better download that one and use that one :-)
    Code free or die.

It's a gas!
    Would if i could but i really dont fancy downloading this on a dial up connection :P

r3b00+

I have been using RH 7.3 and it has pretty good GUI. I think it is 3 CD's. I just downloaded RH 8.0 ( 5 CD's ). Installing it this weekend.

I dont think the GUI stuff was in until 6.x
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

It's a gas!
    Looks like im gonna have to buy RH 8 then

Thanx again

r3b00+

Red Hat 5.2 is going on 5 years old, so if you insist on using it you'll very likely run into lots of hardware support issues, and it's really not a fair representation of what Linux is like today. It would be equivalent to installing Windows 95, which was current at the time 5.2 came out. If you want KDE you'll have to download and compile it yourself, and that will be a pretty large download in and of itself. Gnome at that time was barely usable, so you will find yourself hard pressed for a friendly GUI.

I really encourage you to get a newer version. If you don't want to do the download, go to www.cheapbytes.com and get a set of CDs for a couple of bucks each. You'll save yourself a lot of headache.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

It's a gas!
    Once again thanx, but if i think ive found a http site to download 7.3 from here at work

Fingers crossed

r3b00+