Just a little information that I got from TechRepublic that I thought I would share....

BE AWARE OF CHANGES THAT TRIGGER REACTIVATION

There has been a lot of confusion about Windows XP's built-in activation. Administrators often confuse registration and activation, plus many admins aren't aware of what triggers the reactivation code. Microsoft is partially to blame, for it has indicated only that "substantial changes" trigger reactivation.

A product's Installation ID, which is based on the product ID and numeric hardware hash, determine product activation. Here are the components that make up the hardware hash:

* Processor Type

* Processor Serial Number

* RAM Amount Range

* Hard Drive Device

* Hard Drive Volume Serial Number

* Display Adapter

* SCSI Adapter

* IDE Adapter

* Network Adapter MAC Address

* CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM

Replacement of all other hardware devices, including mice, keyboards, and floppy drives, do not require product reactivation.

The exact number of components on the list that can be changed or replaced without triggering the reactivation code depends on the type of the machine and whether a network adapter exists. For example:

* Desktop computers with an installed network card can change six components. If there isn't a network card or if it's replaced, only four changes are allowed before the reactivation code is triggered.

* Laptops with a network card can change nine components. If there isn't a network card, only seven changes are allowed before the reactivation code is triggered.

NOTE: Changing the same component several times only counts as one change.

Heh...I know XP users are the MINORITY here, but given the penetration that Windows has into the enterprise market, I felt that the info was worth posting.