Nissan vs. Nissan

Thread: Nissan vs. Nissan

Webius Designerous Indiginous

Nissan vs. Nissan

Well, It seems another domain name fight is in full swing. Nissan Motor company is sueing Nissan Computer company for rights of Nissan.com. Nissan Computers is named after the owners last name, Mr. Nissan, and has been around since 1991. He registered the Nissan.com site in 1994, and has made use of it since for his computer business. Now it seems Nissan Motors is going to come in, and basicly just bully this small business from its domain name.

I personally find this disgusting. Just one more way that big corps bully their way and get what ever they want. In my opinion its pure bullshit. This guy was obviously not bying the name knowing he could sell it for big money. It was his livlyhood. Nissan motors didn't even want the domain until 1999. To me thats just unfair bullshit.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...n-domain_x.htm

I have to agree with you xmaddness, the guy wasnt squatting, he had a legitimate reason for buying the domain. I see it as a first come, first serve kind of situation, he was there first, so there fore its his. Besides, you'd think they would come up with some kind of catchy url instead, but thats just my take on it.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Banned
    ive made the mistake of goin to nissan.com lookin for the cars and i dont know if he still does but the guy was nice enough to post a big link to the real nissan website on there..... so i think Nissan cars are being *******s

Because of the way the legal system works. If nissan motor company wins, then any big company that wants to pick on smaller companies can use this case as an example and will generally from now on win the cases. This is BS..

I could see if one of the websites was just a bunch of stuff thrown together and looks like junk. But nissan.net and nissan.com are both pretty well made sites.. Both are registered businesses and therefore wouldnt it be safe to have a website..

Its bad enough the bigger people bully the smaller or the nerds. But now companies are doing it, the bigger bullies are bullying the smaller people and the nerds..

If this goes through then the judges have failed to do the right thing. This judge has a hard case, lets hope he chooses right or we might-as well all just get angelfire or geocities or yahoo etc accounts, because a bigger company will get anything they want....

I agree 100%. I own a small business and would hate it if some larger company could just push me around like that.

I have also gone to nissan.com looking for nissan motor corp. and have seen the link that was put up. I mean how much further can the little guy go? He is already bending over backwards for Nissan Motors but do they give a ****? No. Would they do anything for him? I bet not.

Burns my butt when corporations abuse their power and size. In the long run, it isn't going to help them any.

why can't they just use something like nissan-motors.com or nissan-cars.com..

if they aren't already taken that is, if nissan wanted the domain name they should have registered it long before they would think of needing it, this guy with the computer business got it first and for a legitimate reason, he isn't squatting so they shouldn't be able to take his domain name that he legally registered for away from him, this case is just so silly that it shouldn't go ahead in the first place.

Banned
    they currently use nissandriven.com wich has been around for QUITE a few years so they are just being picky, they will probably loose the case because nissandriven.com gets enough traffic as it is.

Old Fart
    This situation sucks, plain and simple. I visited Mr. Nissans website and saw NOTHIN for Nissan motors to be upset over, other than the fact that this guy's claim to the name "probably" pre-dates theirs by several hundred years....and he DID register the domain before they did. For that matter, he was using his family name in his businesses back when Nissan was Datsun. Anyway, I sent him an email just to let him know that some of us little guys were behind him in spirit and wished him well. He was nice enough to reply and thank me, as well as to include the link below for those of us who might be interested in learning more about his plight.

www.ncchelp.org
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...