Thread: IP trace

IP trace

Hello,

Is it possible to run a trace route on and IP and get "physical" locations of the hops. Preferably the physical location of the desination IP.

Any help at all on "tracert" or anything would be great!

SANDMAn

are you talkiing about a visual route to the host ?

if so go to www.neoworx.com and download neotrace

or go to antionline under tools and toys use the IP locator there

hope this helps
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Banned
    I've seen firewalls that have maps and give "possable" locations of a IP. Its more effective if you get the ISP to give you the phone number of the user who matches the IP.

Old Fart
    NeoTrace will get you close, but it will take the provider to get you an actual physical address, and unless they are breaking the law with their account, you can pretty well forget about having an address volunteered to you. If they are in fact violating the law, report them to their IP, along with a copy of any logs that verify their transgression.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Banned
    Another common misconseption of a trace is some people use gateways that arent anywhere close to where they live and depending on their ISP you might just hit that gateway and thats the location it will give you....

Its always good to keep good logs of your system and find out who owns that IP Block (what ISP) and send them the original logs if anything harmfull was done, they will take care of it by suspending the account most of the time, if it was very malicious notify the police and it will be handled

So, My cisco teacher asked if it would be possible to trace and IP. Should I just tell him that, without the ISP, (or in the case the school?), there would be know way to know the "physical" location of that particular node?

I would say without the help of the police because an ISP isn't allowed to give information about its users without their express consent unless they are requested information by authorities...

You can get a rough idea of the location and who owns or administer the IP but a definite adress of the building where the machine is located is impossible to figure unless you manage the network.
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

Cool ip trace

i am new in this field but the knowledge which i have at present according to that i think that to trace an ip www.visualware.visualroute.com is a good site.

in this site by registering with ur id u can trace five ip address but if u want to trace more just delete ur cookies files from computer and register in the site with any other email id and then again u can trace five more ip.

rakesh86_in

Welcome to AntiOnline. We hope your stay will be a long and enjoyable one. It is requested that you go review the FAQ here: and also the New Members Sections before posting especially here:

As a reminder, when the dates are flashing on a thread, please don't post on them. The flashing dates mean they are old and laid to rest.

If possible we should probably put this one back in the tomb.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

whith conditions one can be paned