OS systems
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OS systems

Question OS systems

I have windows ME and have had several problems with it a friend of mine said this was considered to be a very buggy OS.. Now I am curious , which version of windows is considered to be the most stable. Is windows XP that much better other than being a new toy? Auntie
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.

Hi auntie,..
    I think Windows Xp more stabil than Windows Me..(I hope I'm right)..I used to have windows 2000 and I 'm already updating to windows XP...and so far I don't have problem with that XP(but I'm starting using LINUX right now..)..

Cheersss
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Hi mom!
    I'm using 2000. Out of 98, 2000 and Me I find 2000 to be the most stable one. Haven't tried XP though ...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Auntie

One of my machines here at home runs XP and I consider it one of the better releases. I have no experience with ME but friends who have had it often complained of frequent system freezes.

I have heard Win 2000 is as good if not better than XP in the stability stakes.

It's a gas!
    Well XP is built on the same platform as 2000 and NT so it is a pretty stable OS.

Im not a big fan of XP though, so in IMO 2000 would be the way to go!

r3b00+

Win2k would have to be the most stable. It is based on Win NT technologies plus a few security holes have been addressed. Windows 9x are just plain stand-alone workstation computers, not really made for a network (that in my opinion includes the Internet ) And also for the record, at the moment im using Win2k . With Win XP though, i haven't had much to do with it, however i have heard it is to be extremely buggy (also the licensing agreement is way beyond dodgy!).

Thanks and Later people,

Banned
    i have XP installed but absolutly DISPISE the 'new and improved' features its got on it....... today i have the joyus task of wiping my hdd and putting Cairo (NT5/Win2K) back on where it belongs...... whats more with NT4 it didnt handle directx well at all so you couldnt do much in the way of gaming.... again, cairo has addressed and fixed this...... if you ask me M$ would be much better off and have a better reputation if they were to only use there NT OS's cause they seem to be the only ones that have any effort put in. and they get service on a fairly regular baisis so............... the only thing that i will give XP is its previus version emulation. if they dont put that into NT6 im gonna be pissed cause they finally hit it right on with that. thats solved SO many problems so easily sence ive used it..... oh well i guess ill have to go back to properly fixing things now

I have installed and ran most of the M$ systems past Win95 and I would say Win2K is the by far the most stable, NT4 is not stable, 95 was **** as well. I had a few problems with XP. I never had a problem with ME apart from installing AOL (My fault for been a dum arse) and Win98 was fairly OK.

My opinion is Windows 2000 is the best out of the M$ O/S's, XP is good for been simple to use and looking pretty but I don't like it especially if you run it as a stand alone - As you can't use the secuirty on file system unless you network it (lol).

Im not sure but for what its worth I have heard from many people much more knowledgeable than myself that xp is the most stable of them all. I'v also heard good arguments for 2000 - but far more for XP.
    My parents computer runs ME and when I visit them my ears are constantly belabored by the sound of my younger brother screaming and hollering and slamming things around because of the constant freezing and crashing. The advantage of ME is that if you're a student doing you school work on it you learn to save and make backup files very frequently.
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

If you are looking at pure stability as your measurement for the OS, I'd say that Windows 2000 Pro or XP are going to be your better choices. I personally don't use XP so I can't give you a personal account, but I've heard others say it is fairly stable. I know for a fact that 2000 Pro has been the most stable system of Windows-based OS's that I have personally dealt with. ME is most certainly a buggy OS, and I recommend to anyone to stay away from it.
    - Maverick