Thread: LINUX on MAC...???

LINUX on MAC...???

I found this articles in public library.

"In attempt to boost hardware revenue, Apple reseller TERRA SOFT are to offer Macintosh hardware with "Yellow Dog Linux" preinstalled. TERRA SOFT will position the systems at highend users building clusters around Apple's new Xserve product who'd rather have LINUX than OS-X"

This is very interesting to me..cause why..in my city.. "one groups of Mac users" they don't really like LINUX...they said LINUX is "crap"(to many problems in it) and of course I said LINUX is not crap at all.
    And now it seem to me that "articles" is ironic..cause now ..one of Reseller Apples want a use LINUX instead of OS-X? what's wrong with OS-X???
    I'm not trying to say my LINUX is the "bomb", I'm just not really agreed with their opinion about linux is "crap"

How about you???
    Not an image or image does not exist!

IMHO Its a good thing that Linux is available for different kinds of hardware. And if I do remember correct did Linux dist's for PPC exist before OSX was public available.

Mac is not a bad platform to run *nix on, if you will get around some issues. "I had problems a few years ago but it's probably easier install today. When I got the system properly installed it runned like a dream. I did use it to run a squid proxy on a PPC with Linux for more then a year ("36 multimedia students used the proxy"), I had no real issues with that machine it just kept on running .

IMO Linux on a PPC is far more powerful then MacOS 9 and MacOSX Server 1.0 (it was the last version I have used, I dont use Mac today).

~micael

I tried Yellowdog linux on a PowerBook G4 of a friend of mine...
    Ít sucked so much it made me think back to RedHat 5.0

so I'll be trying Slackingtosh sooner or later.. (the unofficial Slackware Port to the Mac Platform)

and MacOSX is owned by Microsoft (IE and MSN Messenger standard YUCK !!!)

so I'd go for linux anytime !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

"MacOS-X is owned by microsoft"<<<<thanks the_jinx for that information... damn..I didn't realised that.. no wonder TERRA SOFT wanna use LINUX. Now I know why "they" want LINUX , maybe they don't like microsoft anymore.

So basicly like micael said.. "Mac is not bad platform to run *nix on"..wow..this is good stuff.

Banned
    MacOsX is not owned by Microsoft. These two companies have a 5 year agreement , never heard of MAc BU? They differ so much, they're almost killing each other. Apple is more interested in hardware selling, which leaves no bucks for mighty mister softee. Microsoft has a small team of developers implementing stuff like "office v.X" and media player. And Yellow DogApple is been around for a while now. I think that having the option is not a bad thing at all. I personally like having all my web developers power application and heavy-load graphical designing out of windows and Bsd is not a solution for me. Mac has made it possible.

Mac OS X is definently not owned by microsoft, there are parts of it that run programs designed by microsoft, but still what system doesent have atleast 1 thing with a microsoft application on it, all platforms are using something from them, either way Mac OS X is still soly owned by and made by Apple developers. Besides i think its a good thing now that computer companies are starting to form applications for all platforms. Mac Platforms running bsd such as OS X are 100 times more stable too, i can vow for it im running it right now.

Mac OS X is definently not owned by microsoft, there are parts of it that run programs designed by microsoft, but still what system doesent have atleast 1 thing with a microsoft application on it, all platforms are using something from them, either way Mac OS X is still soly owned by and made by Apple developers. Besides i think its a good thing now that computer companies are starting to form applications for all platforms. Mac Platforms running bsd such as OS X are 100 times more stable too, i can vow for it im running it right now.