Thread: chatting..irc

chatting..irc

can somebody explain how irc software work. this question pop up because of i try to connect to irc at my college but cannot connected. wat i believe if, it the admin block all chatting activities. but i wondering how he can block all irc software coz i try msn explorer chat, msn messenger, mirc, AOchat,yahoo messenger.my p0int is, if we know how irc work well may be we can use very simple method to block all irc. am i right.

thank for clarify

afaik, most IRC services run on port 6667 of a server. So if you were administering a firewall for a college or university, blocking most IRC usage would be as simple as blocking all outbound connections to port 6667 on a remote computer. There are some other common ports which IRC services run on which your college may also block (6665-6670, 7000).

Hope this helps

-toad

thanks, hope i can hook to irc next time

He...They must using a firewall againts those ports. Try using a proxy server..and connecting to the irc server. Using 1080, Or test the irc server via java applet..if it works youll need using java then.

-Hope this helps dude

Thumbs up

Oh..forgot something, a text that will help you about ports..here it is.

:tux:.

if the admin is on the ball, then everything is blocked by default. s/he then goes back and allows only the services that are wanted/needed on the network. if this is true here, 1080 will not work either
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

ref. to tux. how can i get to proxy server. or may be u can explain wat is proxy server is. but wat i beleive is def of sth come across your mind after u play around with it.
    i believe the this is wat i should do <blockquote>mIRC DCC / IRC DCC
    [mIRC Proxy/Firewall Help page <http://www.mirc.co.uk/help/proxies.html>]
    (Watch Out! Opens a wide port range!)
    IN TCP 1024 - 5000
    mIRC Chat
    (The IRC port is usually 6667)
    IN TCP 6660 - 6669
    mIRC IDENT
    IN UDP 113
    </blockquote>
    change the dcc already but i can get tcp and the other thing.
    thank 4 ur help