Isn't if funny how some people will believe anything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isn't if funny how some people will believe anything

Post Isn't if funny how some people will believe anything

As I was surfing around the web I ran across this article at FoxNews.com. It seems like this guy believed all of the hype about Y2K and managed to turn himself silver-blue by drinking a concoction of colloidal silver.

This guy's apparent stupidity not withstanding, does anyone believe that we learned anything when the dire events predicted for Y2K never came to be? Or is the feeling that faced with another situation similar to Y2K that people would once again go into mass-hysteria mode and start doing stupid things like this?

Hi mom!
    The really sad part is this:

Stan Jones,a 63-year-old business consultant and part-time college instructor (...)
    and this:

Jones is one of three candidates seeking to unseat Democratic Sen. Max Baucus in November. The others are Republican state Sen. Mike Taylor and Green Party candidate Bob Kelleher.
    Do we really want a guy that turned himself blue teaching stuff to children, let alone running for Senator?
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Not to mention how some people really believe all the things in the spam messages they get... Like the recent case of a company called "CP Direct" where some guy sold "penis enlargement capsules" for the price of $59.95 each: he had bought them with $2.45 each. A nice winning ratio for him anyway: when caught, he had Lamborghines and Rolls-Royces and stuff....
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Talking

I just wanted to say that I found a picture of this guy here.

Very interesting disorder...I wonder how many other people ended up doing stuff like this to themselves for Y2K?

yupe It's bizzare world out there..
    My neighbor drinking his"pee" every once amonth(YUKKKK), cause he believe would protect him from diseases..he said his "pee" is antibiotic
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

I think that there would be another lets all get stupid campaign if something like Y2K were to happen again... The reason is that a person is smart... people are dumb, panicy animals... (saying borrowed from MIB) and that is true... If the media got a hold of the Y2K like happening and put the spin on it they did the actual Y2K then I think we would see a few more "Blue" people...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

Once again I have to support what QuadrupleShortMafiaAssassins said. I think people respond to hype and panic way too often and too easily. This is encouraged by the media because it sells papers and brings in viewers. Y2K stories sold. Books on the subject sold. But if a story said "Chances are there will be no major problems when the New Year rolls around" it wouldn't get printed. If paper one says, "Some institutions with older systems could face problems." Then paper two has to do better, "Institutions with older systems could be seriously affected." The story keeps building and building until you get the outrageous claims of doom and gloom spread around the nation and the world.

Personally I can say I was not worried about Y2K. I had run the tests that were put out, checked my home system and I figured if things fell apart we would put them together again very quickly. At worst I felt there might be a few hiccups. I thought on Jan. 2nd that the News Agencies would apologize but instead they quickly started capitalizing on the fact that 2001 was the real start of the new century. This didn't last long, thankfully, because there were no computer or technology scares about it.

Want some other examples of hype leading to reaction. My favorite is the Remember the Maine slogan. Two papers seeking readers inflame the country to go to war over an incident that many historians now feel was caused by the Cuban Rebels we went and helped rather than the Spanish we fought. The papers didn't care, they needed the war. Pulitzer was desperately trying to beat out Herst in a nationwide circulation war and the fact that they encouraged thousands to fight and die didn't matter at all. How about the McCarthy hearings?

The only thing that seems almost as clear is that when true disaster is about to strike most politicians will be in the dark. Who can forget the famous "Peace in our time" speech by Neville Chamberlain. The indications of the attack on Pearl Harbor that were overlooked. The failure to learn lessons from Dien Bien Phu.

No if there is hype I am pretty comfortable and content sure that all is right with the world. When there isn't, OMG what is about to happen As for the Blue Man (and the color is really cool thanks for the link so we can see him) I think the Senate is just the place for someone with his oblivious talents and untelligence.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Re: Isn't if funny how some people will believe anything

Originally posted here by Redbone

This guy's apparent stupidity not withstanding, does anyone believe that we learned anything when the dire events predicted for Y2K never came to be?

It shows how the media can control the masses.....

I think the dosage of silver/skin area/body mass stuff is something like 4x or 5x normal to get the skin condition... Makes the skin look corpselike... I can see it being a big big hit with the gothic crowd.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

By: Confirmed_Kill
    It shows how the media can control the masses
    We should make a TV show about this guy eh? ...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]