Thread: Bad Sectors on HD.

Bad Sectors on HD.

I was curious to know if anyone has used or know of a product like Disk Checker 2000 that will identify all bad sectors on a hard drive by location, but can be initiated off a bootable media and run on a hard drive that has been wiped. The only thing is, Disk Checker 2000 is OS dependant. We need a piece of software that is not OS dependant.

I know the older versions of SpinRite were OS independent. You might want to go to www.grc.com and see what the latest version is like though.

I have used that product many times to great success in recovering drives with bad sectors on them.

El Diablo

Yes, we have an individual currently testing Spin Rite 5 on a test system. However, I do not believe that spin rite defines the exact sectors that are bad in the same way as Disk Checker 2000 does. I am following up with a test of CheckIt myself, but if there are any other programs out there, please give me a heads up so I can test them.

I attached a copy of Disk Checkers screen shots to show what information I'm looking for from these products.

Your HD manafacturer might also have some scanning tools for you to use.

I believe you are correct in that SpinRite doesn't give the actual sector number like your screenshots.

So why do you need to know the actual sector number that is bad? I know that SpinRite will graphically display which sector is bad and then repair it so it's perhaps a moot point to know which sector number is bad. hmmm, I don't know of any other disk repair software out there that will tell you sector numbers though.

I'll ask around work and see if any of the hardware techs have any suggestions

El Diablo

Successful clearance or sanitization of a Program hard drive requires a comparison and verification that there have been no bad blocks have developed during use of the classified IS. This requirement appears in the DoD Overprint to the NISPOM Supp, our currently approved Master AISSP, and the soon to be implemented DCID 6/3. The only way we can do a comparison is to identify any bad blocks that exist when initially placing the hard drive into service for classified processing. Then, when clearing or sanitizing the hard drive for re-use, a comparison is made with the initial bad block list to determine if there has been an increase in the number of bad blocks.

All hard drives must be cleared (overwritten) during upgrade to initialize it for classified processing. It is at that time that the bad block list (or a note stating "No bad blocks found") should be created. This is a self-inspection item, and is subject to audit during Customers' inspection.

Prior to reusing a cleared or sanitized hard drive, be certain the sanitization records are complete, to include bad block identification and verification, then obtain prior approval from the Program ISSM, who will verify in each instance that the reuse is in accordance with the requirements of the Customer(s)/Program(s) involved.