Thread: gcc install help

gcc install help

Im trying to install gcc-2.96-110.src.rpm on my rh 7.3 box at home from work via putty and i keep getting an error: cannot creat %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
    is this because im logged in via ssh? if so is there a way around this problem thanx for any help i get.

are you logged in as root i think you need to be before you can install software on a system and if it is that important you can just leave it till you get home.You know for all we know you need a C compiler on a remote host for some odd reason that someone has disabled access to the GCC compiler for security purposes so people couldnt compile exploits on the remote system
    and im using redhat7.3 and it come with the gcc compiler
    this seems to odd for me
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Lightbulb gcc and cc

Hi:

Well, try login in as root..maybe thats the problem. Be sure you have all the libraries, Like devels and others in RMP's. GCC need devels.

Hope it helps!

:tux:.

eh I am root . . its ok if you guys cant help

Looks to me like you're trying to rpm the source code. xxxx.src.rpm. Instead try to find a different package. One w/o the src. Should work out for you. The rpm for gcc is on the 7.3 CDs btw.

Thnx Sgt_B

Yeah... Sgt_B is right. You have to rebuild a source RPM before you can install it. You can either find the i386 RPM that is pre-built, or build what you have from the source with 'rpm --rebuild' and then install with rpm -ivh /usr/src/Redhat/RPMS/i386/xxxxxxxxx.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!