Thread: Ad-Aware

Ad-Aware

I don't know if this question belongs in this forum.....
    When I try to use a program that first has "to get information about my hard drive" before scanning, like Ad-Aware or The Cleaner, the program locks up and fails to respond. I have an XP, and have no clue how to solve the problem. It limits me because I am not able to scan my hard drive for impurities such as Ad crap and Trojans, respectively. Any ideas about what is wrong?
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Does your user have perms to access the drive?

did you update to SP1? The new service pack really takes a dump on XP...
    is everythng slow? or just these programs? will chkdsk work?
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

First of all, yes, I do have rights to the drive being the owner. Secondly, no, I did not upgrade to SP1. With "The Cleaner", I can perfectly scan the drive when I seperately right-click the C drive and select "scan with The Cleaner". However, I can not do that with AdAware.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

If you are using XP PRo go back and make sure that you have all the permissions set correctly... I haven't had any trouble with Ad-Aware taking a dump when Irun it on my machine... I think there may just be a permissions problem...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

I have downloaded AdAware plus, but to no avail. It stops responing half-way through the "getting info on C." NOTE: I am running as Administrator. How then can I check if my permissions are set correctly? If they aren't, how I can modify them so Ad-Aware will work?

Hit it!

I'm not sure about XP (XP MUST DIE!), but with 2000, you right click on the file/directory/drive in question and select the properties option. There is then a "Security" tab in the popup which should display permissions.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I had a problems that was close to what you're describing. The problem turned out to be an error on the disk that had to be scanned. Go to cmd prompt and type chkfsk /f then hit yes and reboot.

The second suggestion if that fails, Are you running TinyPersonal Firewall? It locks down the disks pretty good and I had to reconfigure so I could defrag.

Hope that helps.
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

I also have this problem with xp and although you can't solve it. Mine caries on as normal in a "frozen window". It think it means that the systems resources are fully used or something, oh well as i was saying my ad-aware (the latest) caries on even though windows thinks "THIS WINDOW HAS BECOME UN-RESPONSIVE e.t.c." . After awhile of "invisible" scanning ad-aware comes to the "i'm done" screen.

Here's my help, take it or leave it!

I also had the problem but I just dealt with it for the time it happened. What would happen is I would run it, it would do the registry scan then freeze on the hard drive scan. if you click the x and choose end now and run the program again right away it would work.

Just an FYI though, as soon as Adaware started freaking my hard drive Blue screened with a Invalid checksum. First time I bluescreened XP. So backup your stuff
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here