Thread: New Law

Lightbulb New Law

Some people have decided to pass a law to the supreme court (ok, I don't understand much about law, but I would like to make my point across). The law is that at public shooting ranges where you go and buy targets to fire a weapon at, it can not be at a human image (such as an Osama Bin Laden picture or a picture of Hitler), whether it be lifelike, comical, or unrealistic.

Don't neg me for my opinion, please. I feel this law is pointless. There is no reason why this law is trying to be passed into effect, and it is a law for a specific group of individuals. I would like to know your opinions on this.

Regards,
    Silentstalker
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

And if they pass that law, a few months from now unreal tournament 2003 will be outlawed for being too realistic.
    The radiance of ignorace in a world of nothingness and all of this time your pestilence has created nothing but uselessness

Yes, actually now that you mention it the plaintiff sueing the people who were trying to pass the law actually said that video games are more realistic than going down to a shooting range and blasting an Osama Bin Laden picture into forty six pieces...

Regards,
    Silentstalker
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

I see their reasoning behind it,although it is completely rediculous.Some dumb a55(probably a salesman for the boring round targets nobody wants since the introduction of the Bin Laden targets)decided that targets that resemble humans are going to turn people into psychotic serial killers.The same attack done on TV programs,commercials,video games,and everything else.(Kinda like the whole thing about everything you come into contact with causes cancer)The fact of the matter is,if you look at the majority of killers they don't sit in front of their computer playing quake all day,they tend to be very social people with interesting lives that have a dark side.Granted a video game might teach you a few things about keeping yourself as concealed as possible while in a gun fight and other such techniques,but I believe the only people tha usually commit murder...
    1.Someone who is genetically predisposed to such behavior.
    2.Someone who has been severely abused and/or otherwise traumatized
    3.Someone who has spent a lot of time in a war torn area and then quickly thrown out into every day society.
    4.Someone who has been tormented by peers for their whole life.
    5.Someone who has lost a close loved one or friend to violence(in which they would usually just kill the person that commited the act of violence to their friend or loved one.

I'd like one of these people to show me a person that had no psychological problems before playing a particular video game,say a TV show,or shot at a target resembeling a human.And then did one of these things and completely lost it and started killing people.Give me a F#ck!ng break!!!
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

heh, the law will never pass, no point in mindlessly complaining about it unless you take action

I learned this a long time ago, complaining only wastes time, get more info, write to someone and get on with life.... perhaps more info on the bill is needed ****runs off to look***
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

do you have any more info on that bill, like its number, the source of your information. id like to find out more about it. like who supports it, where its going etc.

from what your saying i gather that ranges are not allowed to sell targets with images of people. does this prohibit people from bring in their own.

if it were up to me, id make ranges sell targets with pics of OBL for half the price of other targets and have .gov supply them free of charge. most people i know would love to take a shot at him.

something id like to see:

i very tight grid of infra-red laser emitters/receivers placed in front of and behind a holograpgic projection area with images of obl popping his head out of caves, from behind rocks and just walking accross the landscape in random order. the grid computes the trajectory of the bullets (real) you fire and the image responds according to where its been hit. Or you could add a couple more grids and throw stones instead.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

If shooting Hitler targets or Osama bin Laden targets makes you feel better about any grief you have suffered because of these people, or if it means that as a result you are less likely to actually injure or kill someone in real life, then I don't see the problem. It would be much more beneficial to society if you could take out your anger on a target than on a human being.

Whether it actually encourages you to go out and shoot somebody is another thing, I don't personally believe it does but I don't think it has been proved either way. JMHO

Actually there is a reason that Police, the military, and civilians that use firearms for self defense should pratice with Human siloute (sp) targets... In a real gun fight you do not see what a person looks like (eye color, beard or no beard, etc.) all you see is their outline... By practiceing with a siloute you quicken your reaction time because you develop what is called "muscle memory" and when and if the moment of truth comes you basicly fire on instinct... Where as if you parctice shooting "Bulls Eye" targets or beer cans if you ever have to defend yourself with a gun your eye will take a split second to look for the siloute of the beer can, bulls eye, etc... And here is some other semi-useless knowledge about gun fights... The average gun fight lasts 2.7 seconds.... The average distance between people in a gun fight is approximately 35 1/2 inches... The number of shots fired ranges between 8-12... And out of that number 85-90% miss the person they are fired at... The percentage of rounds that hit their target increase to somewhere between 89-98% for people who train regularly in realistic scenarios at least four times per week... One last thing... Did you know that you are approximately 1700 times more likely to be killed by medical malpractice then by gun violence? Before you neg take into account that currently there are about 230 million guns in the US... There are about 175,000 doctors in the US and according to (I think it was anyway) the insurance institute in 2000 (the last year complete data is avalible) there were about 158,000 deaths due to medical malpractice where as there where only 12,089 gun deaths of all types in the same year... kinda makes you wonder don't it??? back to the original pupose of the post ( sorry about that... My mind tends to wonder when I let it off it's leash... ) the law is just one more attempt to get at gun owners all in the name of "saftey"... I have owned firearms since I was 6 years old and got my first .22 for Christmas and though I can't say I haven't ever shot at anyone with a gun but I can say that I never once broke ANY LAW ANYWHERE when I did fire at them... The only people gun laws effect are law abiding citizens who are neither inclined to nor will they break the law... No matter how many gun laws you pass the criminals willl break them... Those people make a living out of breaking the law and one more isn't going to make a damn bit of differance to them... Just ask those in countries with a total ban on private ownership of firearms... From what I understand the Aussies have seen a 700% increase in violent crimes with guns since their ban... And for the first time the average street cop in the UK has to wear body armor because of the increase in gun crime there... I can't remember who said it but the quote, "an armed society is a polite society" is very true...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?