winipcfg Error!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winipcfg Error!!!

winipcfg Error!!!

Hiiii,

I am trying to set up my friends internet connection on her computer!!
    I went into Properties of Network Neighborhood and removed TCP/IP protocol "casue it wasnt connecting to the net beofore" and it also removed what kind of adapter she had...but i forgot to look at the full name just got compnay "ACCTON" soo i have been tryoing to reinstall the adapter and TCP/IP protocol 1 at a time but when i go to
    "winipcfg" i get an ERROR ---"FATAL ERROR" Cannot read IP CONFIGURATION---
    I was wanderinng what i can try to fix this problem??So i at least get WINIPCFG to work???

what kind of internet connection and what OS?

removing tcp/ip would not have been my first choice. i would have tryed ipconfig/release all then ipconfig/ renew. i don't see any mention of re-booting during all this.

is winpoet involved?
    did you RTFM?

try removing the addapter the way you did before and reboot, the system shoulf find it and reinstall the drivers, they should still be in the system. if tcp/ip is installed it should attach to the new nic. if not add the protocal and reboot, her system may or maynot require a reboot, but it never hurts and sometimes helps
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Yeah, what OS are we talking about here, and how new is the NIC? If the OS is not finding the NIC, and you do not have the drivers on disk, it's time to crack open the box and pull it out to check for the Manufacturer and model information - especially if the NIC is not being found. If this is the case, winipcfg won't do jack sh1t for you (pardon my French). You have to get the NIC loaded in order to bind the TCP/IP stack to it for network connectivity. I hope this helps.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

IMHO, she's talking about win98/98se. And Tedob is absolutely right about renewing the ip address before messing around with TCP/IP.

Edit: Probably cable or Dsl
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

I was just wondering if she could be talking about win 95 since all win9x use winipcfg. The only thing I was trying to determine is whether or not the NIC drivers would be picked up by PnP in the OS since 95 is sooooo old, but the card could be really new. Thanks for bringing that up though Mahakaal, good point. I agree, release/renew should have been the first option.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Banned
    I am trying to set up my friends internet connection on her computer!!I went into Properties of Network Neighborhood and removed TCP/IP protocol "casue it wasnt connecting to the net beofore" and it also removed what kind of adapter she had.

The reason it wasn't "connecting to the net before," cause you didn't configure TCP/IP properly. Instead you completely removed it not good!

Windows 98 IP Configuration command line options:
    /All - Display detailed information.
    /Batch [file] - write to file or ./WINIPCFG.OUT
    /renew_all Renew all adapters.
    /release_all - Release all adapters.
    /renew N - Renew adapter N.
    /release N - Release adapter N.

hey guys, lets not be jumping to conclusions. Natasha69 may even mean "dial-up adapter". All of us here can help her, ive no doubt of that, why don't we wait to see what the situation really is.

ya know, this really is a great group. everyone really wants to help. its almost cruel when someone just leaves us hanging like this.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Re: winipcfg Error!!!

Originally posted here by Natasha69
    but when i go to
    "winipcfg" i get an ERROR ---"FATAL ERROR" Cannot read IP CONFIGURATION---
    Whenever I get that, I have to reinstall the network hardware (Ethernet card, modem, etc.) and then reinstall the TCP/IP workings, it's just some funky windows thing.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Thanks for your all your help guys i just came back from a little holiday and didnt have access to a computer that much...i am really truly greatful for the help i knew the whole time after i posted i left things out but couldnt get to a computer .................... The OS is Windows 98 and its on a ADSL connection...
    "winipcfg" was worlking before but then i took out the TCP/IP protocol from it and it took out the adapter too, soo thats why i didnt get to see the name for the adapter. Yes i took out the adpater and TCP/IP re-started the computer but it still wasnt there!! And i also tryed
    "ipconfig/all" from the command line and it gave me the same error!!And im not sure what "winpoet" is (tedob1)

You need to get the TCP/IP working again(re-install--the easy part), and then you need to find the drivers for your network adapter, and install them as well. Dont know about win98, but win98se(when I was using it) was extremely picky about network adapter drivers. I had to do it quite a few times when I KNEW what drivers I needed. I suggest you call the manufacturer and find out what kinda adapter they put in and take it from there.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara