Thread: Who opens that port?

Question Who opens that port?

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a program that can show me what program/process open that certain port in my computer? With netstat , I can see what ports are openned. With wintop can can see what programs are running in my computer, but infact I do not know which program open which port. If any one know, please help me. If it can run in windows 9.x then it so GREAT!

I think that if we can have such a program then I think it is easier to track the back door program.

Thank you very much.

Quoc.

PS: If this is the wrong place to raise this question, please let me know. Thank you.

I don't know but if your problem is just backdoors you can use "ZoneAlarm", "The Cleaner" ,...
    Some programs may use a random high number ports and some programs eg. yahoo messenger may use for examle 5050. So better to use "netstat" command for this.

Cheers
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

I haven't heard of a program that does that sort of thing, although I agree, it would be useful under certain circumstances.

Of course it would have to be updated regularly to keep track of ports, and come to think of it, most firewalls tell you which port an application is trying to access.

So I guess what you would want is a firewall that can tell you what port an application is using to try and access the net. I believe Zone Alarm does this, but don't quote me on that. You can find out for yourself here: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

Sorry this is so eradic.....I was thinking while I was typing. Never do that.
    The radiance of ignorace in a world of nothingness and all of this time your pestilence has created nothing but uselessness

Hi mom!
    I also remember ZoneAlarm warning that some program wishes to open communication, I'm not sure if it gives you statistics on ports, bytes and stuff, but it's worth a try (most definatly if you aren't running some form of firewall in the first place).
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Ninja Code Monkey
    For windows do a search on google for fport. It tells what program is opening what ports.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Banned
    netstat -o
    on xp will tell you the pid that its running on then his cntrl alt del and look up the pid and their u go might work on 2k havent tried hope its some help
    rioter

Outpost firewall by Agnitum (FREE) can display the program, remote host, remote port, direction, protocol and 'rule' for allowed, blocked, disallowed, incoming and outgoing connections - depending on your options settings for reports. This is IMHO a great firewall but if you are not very familiar with firewalls, you may want to read the Users Manual before trying it. I'm no expert and have been able to figure out any difficulties I've had accessing certain sites and quickly correct them. Since this firewall effectively blocks so many of the things web users complain about (pop-ups, ads, etc.) and can be configured to block harmful scripts, ActiveX and more from web sites or your email - you don't need a bunch of other programs. It hasn't slowed my surfing either and I'm still on dial-up. Check out the features and decide for yourself. Of course you still need a good AV program! Good Luck.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

hers the first few likes of the output from fport from foundstond.com:

C:\>fport
    FPort v1.33 - TCP/IP Process to Port Mapper
    Copyright 2000 by Foundstone, Inc.
    http://www.foundstone.com

Pid Process Port Proto Path
    656 tcpsvcs -> 7 TCP C:\WINNT\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
    656 tcpsvcs -> 9 TCP C:\WINNT\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
    656 tcpsvcs -> 13 TCP C:\WINNT\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
    656 tcpsvcs -> 17 TCP C:\WINNT\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
    656 tcpsvcs -> 19 TCP C:\WINNT\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
    376 svchost -> 135 TCP C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    8 System -> 139 TCP
    8 System -> 445 TCP
    628 MSTask -> 1025 TCP C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
    8 System -> 1026 TCP
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

For win9x, I find that most firewall programs comfortably double as portlisters. I think there is also a program called 'inszider" or something like that. I tried it a long time ago, it was pretty slow.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency