.:US May Ban Genital Mutilation Parents:.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .:US May Ban Genital Mutilation Parents:.

GreekGoddess

.:US May Ban Genital Mutilation Parents:.

US authorities have threatened to ban dozens of Somali refugee families from emigrating to America because the parents have mutilated the genitals of their young daughters.

The traditional circumcision rite is believed to have been carried out recently on girls as young as two after their families were told the act was illegal in the United States.

Some 12,000 Somalis, members of a persecuted minority, are being held in camps in Kenya en route to the US.

The ordeal usually happens at night.

The young girls are held down on the floor by their families - the mutilation takes place without any anaesthetic...

Read the full article here.
    Even though I disagree with the mutilation that is taking place, I don't see how the U.S. can ban immigrants, who have already committed the act against their child from coming to the U.S.. I realize that we make the rules who come and go, and that mutilation against anyone is wrong here, but punishing for an act that didn't even happen here, seems wrong. Like I said, I do not agree with it, but it is their culture. What does everyone else think?

Banned
    I read this story on Waris Dirie when it first appeared in Reader's Digest

In a nomadic culture like the one I was raised in, there is no place for an unmarried woman, so mothers feel it is their duty to ensure their daughters have the best possible opportunity to get a husband.

And since the prevailing wisdom in Somalia is that there are bad things between a girl's legs, a woman is considered dirty, oversexed and unmarriageable unless those parts--the clitoris, the labia minora, and most of the labia majora-are removed. Then the wound is stitched shut, leaving only a small opening and a scar where the genitals had been-a practice called infibulation.
    What bothered me about the article you mentioned, is this part:

In recent months, dozens of Somali parents, preparing to move to the US, have been rushing to subject their daughters to this agonizing ritual, knowing it is illegal in America.
    A while ago, there was this big fuzz in Belgium about whether Muslim women should be allowed or not to wear their head wraps for the photographs on their ID-cards. After a lot of discussion, they actually are allowed to do that. My question is: respecting their culture, ok... but to what extent? What if some members of an ancient cult wanna move to the US? A sect that still offers children to their god or something...?

Re: .:US May Ban Genital Mutilation Parents:.

I think this Sick traditional circumcision ceremony needs to be banned from earth!

A good start would be to refuse them in the USA and for i care every civilized country!

This kind of behaviour makes me sick!
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

<stupid question>How do you circumsize a girl?</stupid question>

Banned
    <answer that already has been supplied>the clitoris, the labia minora, and most of the labia majora-are removed</answer that already has been supplied>...

Don't tell me you're after the actual details...:/

No no no no no.....I don't care when or where this type of behavior occured. People who do this to their children shouldn't be given refuge anywhere. I don't care how close-minded you may think I am...this is ignorance on the part of an entire race. IMO, a good solution would be to allow them to immigrate, and then throw them in jail for child abuse. Particularly as Neg quoted, the ones who hurry up and do it to their daughters in preparation for immigrating to any country where it is illegal. It is illegal in this and other countries because it is barbaric, inhumane, cruel and altogether hideous. Just stop and think for a few minutes exactly WHAT is being done to these girls, and what they will NEVER be able to experience from life because of it.

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Originally posted here by debwalin
    this is ignorance on the part of an entire race.
    First of all let me say I agree with you Deb. It's wrong what they're doing to their own flesh and blood, BUT that does NOT give anyone the right to stereotype.....

Edit: To the negger that gave his/her reason as "F*** You", you're an idiot.
    2nd Edit: Deb I know you well enough to know that you're not one to stereotype No apology was needed and I sure don't accept it
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

The really bad news is that this sort of mutilation does
    happen in the USA, but not for religious reasons, but under the guise
    of modern medicine.

Initially doctors thought Chase should be reared as a boy, and she was named Charlie. But further consultation with different doctors led to the decision to raise her as a girl. She was renamed Cheryl. Her parents decided, under medical advice, to have her clitoris removed, in order to "normalize" her appearance toward that of a girl. This clitorectomy was meant to help her develop a female gender identity
    http://www.luckymojo.com/tkintersex.html

A small but significant number of people are born with "ambiguous genitalia",
    which can mean any thing from a boy with too small a penis to a girl (apparently normal)
    who has XY chromosomes. They are often surgically altered as infants.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Mahakaal...you are right and I apologize. It wasn't right for me to say it like that...because I'm sure there are parents who choose not to do this to their children. It makes me angry to think of it, and I think it's horribly wrong, but it was also wrong of me to stereotype everyone. Sorry.

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Let's all protest against orthodox Jews now, shall we? I mean, jeez... I personally find it repugnant, but I don't think it's worth the blatant hypocrisy.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency