Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Snipering

Re: The odds

Originally posted here by tommyboy2034
    What are the odds that two ppl could have the same sick opinion of sniping ppl. Usually crimes involving cars are easy to solve...since it would be kind of obvious if you heard a loud bang and saw a car pull away.

Any implications to this being terror related?
    There have been cases of two people doing serial killings. Typically in that situation the initator of the killings is the dominate of the two. The other does not have a high self worth and is easily persuaded to what the other wants. I have seen some Discover or TLC programs where that sort of situation has asrisen (Foresenic Files or some other title along those lines)

Cheers,
    -D

In Vietnam Army snipers used an accurized M-14, and it spit the casings a couple of feet. I'd ask 4midget about picking up cases. I doubt the emtpy case is a priority in a combat sniping situation.
    Thanks Chuck56 ... Picking up your brass is a matter of time and mission... I would say that 99% of the time military snipers police (pick up) their brass... The M-14 that Chuck56 spoke of was used up through the mid 80's and beyond in some Spec-Ops units but the weapon of choice now is the M-40A1 Sniper Weapon System... It is an accurized Remington Model 700 with a 3x9x50 Range Finding scope... It fires the .308 (7.62) round and since it is a bolt action weapon keeping your brass is an easy proposition...

This explains the .223 ammo and the headshots, these don't frag as easily and in a deer's head, won't obstuct any recovery of meat (I mean, who wants to spit buckshot out of their venison soup?). he also doesn't always pick up his shell casings, military snipers ALWAYS do, they don't want to be tracked.
    You are partially correct x acid ... We were taught in sniper school (please remember that I went through about 20 years ago... to leve as small a "foot print" as possible to avoid detection... That meant everything from sleeping in the last place an enemy would look (snake and aligator infested swamps, the basement of the building they lived in, on the top of a mountian that they thought couldn't be climbed, etc) to carrying EVERYTHING we took in with us out (craping in baggies, packing out all trash, no fires, etc.)... When I went through the school the Army was still using the M-21 (the M-14 with a scope and accurized) it was a pain in the butt sometimes to get your brass without getting shot at... If you did your job right the enemy would be looking for you as far from where you were as possible so it made the job a tad easier I think the head shot thing is nothing more then this guy saying, "Look at how good I am!" The head shots alone make me think that this is not a military trained sniper... We were taught to shoot center mass and go for the "sweet spot" (the center of the just over the heart)... If this guy has formal training I would lean toward an ex-law enforcement type... they are taught to go for the head shot as a means of puting the perp down fast without them being able to pull off that last shot (scramble the brain and your finger can't pull the trigger on the hostage thing)...

There have been cases of two people doing serial killings. Typically in that situation the initator of the killings is the dominate of the two. The other does not have a high self worth and is easily persuaded to what the other wants. I have seen some Discover or TLC programs where that sort of situation has asrisen (Foresenic Files or some other title along those lines)
    The most famous pair I can think of is Henry Lee Lucas and Otts Toole... They were both killers in their own right... John Walsh thinks it was Otts Toole that killed his son Adam and Henry Lee Lucas cleared 200+ murders when they caught his butt... (I think it was called, "into the mind of a Serial Killer" on Discovery... Great channel)

IMO these guys will be caught but not before they get off at least ten more shots... they are getting bigger balls with each shot they make... The last guy was killed with a State Trooper not 50 feet from where the victim was... He said he heard the shot but couldn't tell where it came from or if thee was a vehicle or not... That take big brass ones IMO... When I went out and did my thing in Central America for God and Country I would wait for days to make sure the target had the fewest people around as possible... I wanted to get home and see teh wife and kids... These nut bags don't give a wide rats a55 who hears them or sees them... As long as they can get away... I would venture a guess that they are in a differant vehicle now that the police shut down I-95 and searched every White Van that went down the road... I know I would get into something else for the next shot... But then again I wouldn't be out shooting people just for the sake of shooting people...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

The fact that the killing is from about 150-300 yards it doesnt sound like a "SNIPER" at all. I mean I know a kid in my school that can hit rabbits from 300 yards with a air rifle. Plus if it was a "SNIPER" whay such a small round I mean they are known to use rounds that are a lot bigger, so i think that it is another "MEDIA STERIOTYPE".

The fact that the killing is from about 150-300 yards it doesnt sound like a "SNIPER" at all. I mean I know a kid in my school that can hit rabbits from 300 yards with a air rifle. Plus if it was a "SNIPER" whay such a small round I mean they are known to use rounds that are a lot bigger, so i think that it is another "MEDIA STERIOTYPE".
    By definition a sniper is someone who will take a single well placed shot over multiple shots at a target... And that seems to be what these guys are doing... Range has little to do with it... I am not doubting you with the air rifle thing but are you sure it is that far? I can say I have seen people hit targets at 650+ yards with a .357 Colt Python... So I know that extreme long range for a weapon not exatly designed for that range can be done but that seems a bit on the far side to me... Then again I am not a big air gun fan... And I agree with 110% that the media are giveing snipers a bad name by calling this whack job a sniper but until they get a better name I guess that one gets to stick...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

A sniper is not defined by the round they fire or the weapon by which they fire it nor from the distance they fire from. A sniper is defined either by there training or the action they carry out or indeed by there mind set.
    So i dont think it is media stereotyping, they are merely using the term "sniper" to define the act or because they believe the sniper to be trained in the art etc.

the term sniper just means someone who snipes or fires from concealment !

Either way it is tragic whatever they are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

Hrm, The rifle he uses must be of pretty small caliber (.22?) So you have to be a good ****, Its like hitting the head of a pin from 20 feet away with a marble...

Hrm, The rifle he uses must be of pretty small caliber (.22?) So you have to be a good ****, Its like hitting the head of a pin from 20 feet away with a marble...
    He's using a .223 (5.56mm) round fired from either an AR-15 type rifle or a Ruger Mini-14... The same round used by the military in the M-16 series of weapons.... Depending on bullet weight and powder charge you are looking at a maximum effective range (the maximum range the bullet will kill or incapacitate a person of around 550meters) If he is using an accurized AR-15 (doubtful but not totally out of the question) with a great deal of practice and knowing the weapon very well he could put a round through a fleas a55 at 350+ meters with a good scpoe... I have watched 1000 yard National Matches where guys consistantly shoot bulls eyes at 1000 yards with open sights... And we're talking shot groups that can be covered by a quarter and on bad days by a fifty cent peice...

I agree about the long range matches. I participated in a long range black powder match, 1000 yds with Sharps or Remington "buffalo" guns. Now, you're talking about something with the trajectory of a mortar at that range. I say participated. That's about all it amounted to. I think I came close enough to the target a couple of times that, if it had been alive, it might have wondered what that 'thunk' was in the distance. I used my replica Shiloh Sharps, .45.90 cal.

With modern rifles, it's another ball game entirely, but still out of my league these days. I limit myself to targets that don't look like the period at the end of a sentence.

I suspect the shooter's are in a different vehicle now, too. I also think, since they were seen, you'll discover them being a lot more careful in the future, if they aren't caught. They're having fun and they don't want it to end just yet. I'm glad I'm 2000 miles away.

Exactly, Thats hwy I think hes ex-military or just some redneck who really knows how to shoot... (How do we even know that its a he)

syini

lol, "Center mass, or headshots?"

A sniper is a sniper whether he goes for an instant kill or not, and yes, most of them were headshots. A nice placement at the base of the neck, or left chest, would result in death too. A sniper might be a real ass and shoot the crotches off of innocent men... he's still a sniper