Question for the Admins...

Thread: Question for the Admins...

Question for the Admins...

How did you get your job? I mean, every admin job I see requires 3+ years experience. Obviously, you don't just obtain that experience. I guess what I'm trying to say is how did you get started? I have just started my M.S. in MIS (hope to graduate in '04), but I really enjoy the technical side of things. Thanks!

Old Fart
    After you graduate, find an intermediate sized privately owned company with a decent IT budget. Take whatever job you have to just to get your foot in the door. Get the owners' daughter pregnant just as soon as you finish your probationary period...PRESTO...instant admin job.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Originally posted here by allenb1963
    After you graduate, find an intermediate sized privately owned company with a decent IT budget. Take whatever job you have to just to get your foot in the door. Get the owners' daughter pregnant just as soon as you finish your probationary period...PRESTO...instant admin job.
    LOL. I don't think my girlfriend would like that. Any other ideas?

Old Fart
    Hmmmm...other than that, the only way I know of is to follow the first part of the instructions above, but go for an assistant's position...then after serving as an assistant for whatever amount of time that company requires, start applying for admin postions as they are posted. Given the condition of the market today, it's a safe bet you won't be able to walk out of the classroom and into an admin position...a year or two of experience as an admins assistant will make a world of difference.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Originally posted here by allenb1963
    Hmmmm...other than that, the only way I know of is to follow the first part of the instructions above, but go for an assistant's position...then after serving as an assistant for whatever amount of time that company requires, start applying for admin postions as they are posted. Given the condition of the market today, it's a safe bet you won't be able to walk out of the classroom and into an admin position...a year or two of experience as an admins assistant will make a world of difference.
    I wasn't really expecting a senior admin job. I am hoping the M.S. will help out, if not in rank, at least in salary.

er0k
    well ive asked the same question as you 65_289 to other admins and they said that they were either recommended or applied to be trained on job. if you already have the skilz necessary, and papers to back it up, just walk in where you wanna work slap your resume down and hope. from what ive heard its difficult to get that particular job, mainly because typically only one or two ppl can get that job at a certain place.

Well, as far my illustrious Admin position goes , I started out with little to no Networking experience as an Intern in my company's first IT internship. When I saw the opportunity, I jumped all over it. By my second month, they had unofficially decided to hire me on as a full-time Tech. I did that for about 2 years busting my a55 and attacking every task put before me (and asking for more and more all along). When I found that there were so many roadblocks in my path to Network Admin, I decided to explore other options outside of my department. I became more and more interested in Network Security and applied for an open position, which I did not get, but another opening came about, and, again, I jumped on it. By then, I had been working on various projects with the Security team and had gained a good deal of respect from them. I put myself in a position to be a "shoe-in" even though I had no experience - only knowledge I picked up from a whole lot of reading and questions. That said, see if you can get into an intership or something. Or just get your foot in the door as allenb said, and work from there (learn to network with the various departments to get your name out there). It's not impossible, as you can see. Keep in touch, and let us know how it goes.

Good luck.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

LOL.....I was laughing so hard @ allenb1963...<<< you so funny...you make my day today..

Sorry guys I can't help to posted this one ...

Cheerssss
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!