Thread: Password strength checker

Password strength checker

Does anyone know of an application that will check the strength of an entered password? I'm trying to teach our 3000 users how to use strong passwords and want to be able to demonstrate the relative stength or weakness of passwords they select. What I'm imagining is an application that I can run on a computer in our security booth (part of annual education) where they could enter their pasword into a text box and hit GO. This application would try to crack it first by a dictionary lookup, then by other common methods. The application would time how long it takes to crack the provided password. This way I could offer prizes (humble, albeit prizes) to folks who's password takes longer than say, 30 seconds to crack.

I think that this would be an effective way to show people how their choices affect how secure thir stuff is.

Any takers???

Basically look for good password generators or tell your employee's to use a mixed password such as j58fkr8fk. You can even throw in a few symbols to make hdf7r&*j3%%#d. It would take then to remember it and memorize it, but it is a safe way of keeping your passwords strong and hard to crack. Just a little advice, hope I helped.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I had one a while back but I can't find where I put it. There is another one HERE but I have never used it, so I am not sure how good it is or how it works. If I find my other one, I'll get back to you.

Cheers:
    DjM

Hahaha, I know I'm new around here, but It seems that your just trying to find a easy way to get a program to get some passwords.... These people are not as dumb as you think...

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    For unix style passwording.. look for john the ripper.

re: HAHAHA

I don't need this thing to log entries. I want a way to beat this into their little mushy heads and makes it fun. I'm not looking for a password grabber. I manage the systems programmers for my company so we have access to all the passwords already.

I suppose that some folks that post here have motives that are less than genuine.

Second Xmaddness....for unix, john the ripper is king. A very weak second place would be Crack.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

u can try out programs similar to key generator

Banned
    Jweygint, you should go and checkout L0pht's site. There is a program somewhere around there called L0phtCrack which can crack all kinds of passwords.