Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Problem

Weird Problem

Im trying to install Oracle 8i onto a client machine running Windows 2000 professional. Im in as an administrator and when the cd loads up and i click on install the program just ends. I went exploring the cd and found the setup and the same thing. Ill click on the setup icon and when i do i see the cd rom is spinning and then it just doesn't do anything. I copied it onto the hard drive also and still nothing. Im stumped i dont know why this is happening.
    As always your help is greatly and truely appreciated.

Thanx
    -SOIA
    Alright take it ease

Open task manager ... do you see the setup program? has it stalled?

Have you tried rebooting the machine?

Smile

Hi ...

I don't know the problem ... but I know the work around.
    Start in Safe mode ... and you can install it.
    Have FUn

Rebooted about 4 million times and also booted into safe mode. still nuthing.
    Alright take it ease

hhhmmmm, you could try grabbing the latest version of windows installer, that might help, I believe the location for this is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/...psdkredist.htm

Greg

P.S. what SP are you running?

I've messed around with Oracle installations a little bit and from my experience there are a couple of things that could be causing a problem for you. First, you have to install Oracle on a server. As far as I know for Win32 that has to be NT or Win2K Server. Win2K professional is not necessarily intended to be a server.

The other thing, and this probably isn't your problem, is that Oracle should be installed in its own 2GB partition on your hard drive. Have you partitioned off this space just for Oracle?

I have oracle installed on a server. I need to install it on my clients also to get my accounting program to work. The thing is ive installed it before without a hitch, so i dont know why it stills happen
    Alright take it ease

Are you trying to install the entire system? And how are the clients attempting to access the database? Is it through ODBC? Or is it through some other kind of connection protocol? From my experience, if the client application needs to access Oracle through ODBC then all you need to do is have the proper registry keys set and have the client drivers loaded.

Perhaps you are running the wrong setup program?

Apparently you need to have at least Oracle 8i Release 2 (8.1.6) in order to have it function for Windows 2000. Maybe you have an older version since your installing off of the CD?

If that doesn't work maybe this article might help if you are using a P4.
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Data..._20267422.html
    Love is the only reality of the world, because it is all One, you see. And the only laws are paradox, humor, and change. There is no problem, never was, never will be. Release your struggle, let go of your mind, throw away your concerns, and relax into the world.

Dan Millman, The Way of The Peaceful Warrior

Well im using oracle 8.1.7. Installing on Windows 2000 professional with SP3. It doesn't use an odbc link, the oracle installer is providing access to the central database. I am using the right installer because ive done numerous installs with this cd. Never encountered this problem though. Still didn't get it to work at the moment so i had to go back to the 8.1.5 version of oracle.
    Alright take it ease