Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Kevin Mitnick deserve what he got? (new)

Post Did Kevin Mitnick deserve what he got? (new)

If you're wandering why there are 2 of these...its simply because for some odd reason, the first one's link is broken so here it is again

I know and realize that many of you came barging in here infuriated by this topic being brought up again all ready to flame me and neg the hell out of me. Well, if you believe I deserve negs for this, then neg me...I'm doing my own thing whether you like it or not.

Recently at this thread an interesting topic was brought up that I believe is worth discussing...so here it is:

I realize that a good number of you don't care for Mitnick too much. I myself don't care for him too much as a person. He dogged many of his friends who trusted him with their lives a number of times. But he is a very intelligent man and definately knew (I still believe he is fairly up-to-date) his stuff...He was good enough to evade the authorties a number of different times for a while (once even for a couple years), but then he would get sloppy and trust the wrong people.

I believe with his final incident, though he got the raw end of a deal and many tried to make it right...
    What do you think?
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

I personally think that he got more than he deserved. People are talking about him. People are donating and so on. In discussions like "Do you think he deserved that?" people are often argueing that he is a smart guy or even intelligent and he knew his stuff. Probably they are right. But in the end, he is a criminal. He did things he should not have. Just being able to do something is not a justification to do it.
    Perhaps the comparison is too perverted but for example Hitler and Stalin and also Mao were intelligent too.
    I also read the book by Shimomura and had the impression that Mitnick is somehow sick. Possessed by his inferiority complex.

It's a gas!
    I dont know the full story behind this guys fall, nor do i want to BUT i believe in second chances.
    The man did something wrong and paid for it, everyone does something stupid at least once in their life!

Just my £0.02

r3b00+

Of course you are right r3b00+. But only if someone is sorry about what he did. And Mitnick is not sorry as far as I know. He still thinks that HE is the victim.
    And by the way: he already had his second chance.

newbie, yes, you're right. He did break the law. Everyone knows that bit of it. Now I'm not trying to justify what he did, but there are MANY people who broke the law when in reality they were doing right. Who has done this in the area of computers recent times you ask?

Dmitry Sklyarov is probably the most famous recent case of this. He broke the DMCA bill when he broke the DVD encryption and made the source code public. Is this really such a bad thing? In my opinion, no. He should've never been prosecuted for this. In fact, I believe he should be rewarded for figuring out how to break it. Of course he didn't do it alone. I can't remember his partner's name right now, but those 2 should be rewarded. It is because of them that everyone finally realizes that the DVD encryption is not 'uncrackable'. Since then many people have become much more security concious and know that nothing is 'uncrackable'....

Anyways, my point is just because someone breaks the law doesn't mean it is actually wrong....I believe Kevin definately got shafted hard on that one...just my opinion....and if you're wandering, yes, I believe Kevin should've been prosecuted.
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"

um

Kevin Mitnick broke the law. Yes.... It WAS wrong, not because it was law, but because he broke into someone elses personal privacy and property. Some people may still believe this "oh it is hacking it isn't wrong to break into someone elses computers." Well, it is just as wrong as breaking into someone's car or house, if you don't have permission. I've heard arguments of "but they were asking for it" Well, am I asking for it if I leave a door in my house unlocked? Keving Mitnick illegally broke into computer systems. Other peoples computers who didn't want him there... That is wrong. He stole sensitive information. He evaded the law. I don't think there is a question of if he "in the right".

Would you think someone was in the right if they broke into your computer and stole sensitive information?

Mitnick is a criminal. He got caught. Some people don't get caught. Does that change wether or not it is right or wrong? No. Seems like we all need to look at ourselves and see what we can better in our own lives, so that we can keep from being hypocritical... I do..

Raven

What Mitnick did whasn't exactly legal. He f#$@% with the system big time.
    Offcourse he's not innocent and he got punished, but what they're doing to him now (computer ban) is not fair.
    He can't even work at a Burgerking because that requires using a computer.

Im sorry if I dont feel this guy is anything special. He broke the law and he paid the price. I dont think anything of value can be derived from the stuff he pulled. I can see the point about the Russian DVD crackers but definatly not Mitnick. He did some pretty nasty stuff.

I saw him in Las Vegas and he was warwalking with a iPaq. He acted extremely cocky. I dont think he is abiding by the computer ban all that much.

I dont think the hacker community needs a poster boy....if so, definatly not Mitnick.

-zenon

BTW, good post cF, i think this subject and the conversation taking place in the "KM in the news" thread is different.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Leviathan> I would agree with you except for 1 thing. This wasn't his first time getting busted for computers. He did time before and was released. The guy knew what he was doing, knew that he could get jail time, and he did it anyway. I have NO problem with him not having access to a computer.

The only problem I have with the case is the fact that it took so long in court. The government obviously didn't have there **** together enough to press all the charges, so they took way to long actaully taking it to court. I also think he was treated unfairly while in prison, but thats a different story. He deserved the time, and anything he got on parole.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Originally posted here by Xenon
    I dont think the hacker community needs a poster boy....if so, definatly not Mitnick.
    I disagree with this. I believe that we do need someone who is recognized as a 'hacker' and will stick up for us. It needs to be someone who knows the media and politics. It needs to be someone that everyone respects and will listen to. You are right, though Kevin is NOT a good choice. He is way too cocky and his hacker ethics are very screwed up. The best person that I can think of off the top of my head for this is Eric Corly aka Emanuel Goldstein. He has defended our community for years with radio shows such as Brain Damaged and Off the Hook. He also uses the infamous magazine 2600 to defend us. I think he is a wonderful choice.

Originally posted here by Xenon
    BTW, good post cF, i think this subject and the conversation taking place in the "KM in the news" thread is different.
    Thank you Xenon...I do what I can.....
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]