Free BSD vs LINUX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free BSD vs LINUX

Free BSD vs LINUX

hi,

Just wondering.....which one more secure and stabil?? free BSD or LINUX???
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Depends on what you want to do with it..

for desktop stuff and playing around, linux is the choice for you..

for server's I'd go for openBSD (wich has no X) or FreeBSD or NetBSD

the BSD's are more secure (mostly)

but it all depends on you configuration... fresh out of the box.. I'd go for BSD.
    if you do the config manualy.. the difference is too small to measure
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Originally posted here by the_JinX
    Depends on what you want to do with it..

for desktop stuff and playing around, linux is the choice for you..

for server's I'd go for openBSD (wich has no X) or FreeBSD or NetBSD

the BSD's are more secure (mostly)

but it all depends on you configuration... fresh out of the box.. I'd go for BSD.
    if you do the config manualy.. the difference is too small to measure

Not all correct, OpenBSD does have X.
    it might not be simple to configure as in Linux but it does have it.

I thought all BSDs had X available to use. I'm pretty sure that I read that somewhere, might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure. Anyways, the chance that you actually "need" BSD is pretty small, probably better off getting used to *nix with linux and then going onto BSD. Not like it costs you anything, just some time.

OpenBSD does not have X on it's install cdroms..
    you could ofcourse compile XFree86 for it yourself (as with all unix-es)...

but in effect it's all the same.. unix linux etc...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

During install (from cdrom) you are asked what packages to install, including xfree.
    If you don't believe it then check this out:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#FilesNeeded

Or feel free to discuss it with other BSD ppl in Holland -> www.blowgish.org

OpenBSD definatly comes with X. I installed it yesterday and it deifnatly comes with it. The difference between OpenBSD and Linux is that all programs included in the ports tree (or packages) are put through a security application review. This is why there have been like one remote hole in 4+ years. Linux tends to throw stuff into their build without reviewing it making the install extremely big and bulky.

Go BSD, you'll love it

-Ze

NOTE : ALL THE DETAILS PROVIDED HERE ARE BASED ON MY EXPERIENCES WITH FReeBSD, Linux, AND MY READINGS ON OTHER BSD'S AND LINUX DISTRO'S PRIOR TO SELECTING THE ONE MOST SUITED TO MY NEEDS. IF THIS INFORMATION IS INCORRECT OR NOT WHOLY ACCURRATE, I AM SORRY IN ADVANCE.

Which is more secure : That all depends on what you are doing with it and your skill level. The BSD's tend to be less user friendly, even on the install from CDROM. Out of the box, so to speak, they all have vulnerabilities. It is how you handle these issues that causes the system to be secure. Linux tends to provide out of the box installation a suite of tools that can be used to secure the system through the UI where as in the BSD's you tend to need the additional package installations if you want a GUI based configuration for services and what not.

Do the BSD's come with X, even on the CDROM : Most definitely yes. Some don't configure automatically for you on the install like linux. FreeBSD in particular can be rough based on my own experiences. Most of your linux distros will configure X as a part of the install. The BSD's will install it, but you tend to have to go back and reconfigure to get beyond the CLI. However, the option to install and use X is certainly there.

Downfalls to most any *nix distrobution : They are only as secure as the administrator is capable. That is to say if your skill level is low and you are trying to run various services on a system, you are liable to leave yourself vulnerable. Be advised though that this is not a fault in *nix systems at all. It is more to the lack of knowledge of the system administered.

Hope that this answers the question.
    Regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

At the moment I've ben building of Gentoo LINUX 1.4 and one of my lecture said I better check out latest Version of Free BSD...(she gave me free CD of Free BSD), and she said Free BSD is good distro and more secure and stabil than LINUX<<<easy to get hacked ( I know for sure.. every Distros's not 100% secure/stabil).. So I decided to play around with it and I'm trying gain knowledge with it

Hi!

I recommend using for a learner..Linux(Redhat,Mandrake). Just to learn the basics for a start and see how linux works. For me RedHat its pretty BUT not full secured. For BSD you can use it for servers, more stable, reliable,small. Try BSD when you learn some linux box. That what i recommend.

Like the guys said, for fooling around, exeprimenting and X windows system, use linux for now.

I agree. I've got OpenBSD and its has X Windows System with it. In some version you have to compile the XFree86. Here are some ss's.

http://www.saitti.net/~heko/obsd-screenshots/