Thread: Tiny Virus Protection Tip Guide

Post Tiny Virus Protection Tip Guide

Disclaimer: I understand that this has been talked about before and that it is very short. I do hope people will benefit from it and that people who haven't read past virus protection tutorials, can read this one.

This is my tutorial on Protection Against Viruses. Now I know their already have been some tutorials on this, but from what I see, user's come and go all the time! I'd like to give you just a tiny list of things that can help you. I hope you find this informative and resourceful.

***Protection Tips from Virii***
    > Purchase Virus protection software, install it on your system, and use it. Remember to try to make sure that it is good software, from the proper download site, and works well. Test it out even. A few popular one's are Norton AntiVirus and McAffee A/V Software.

> Be sure to update your virus protection software. Some software will automatically link to the vendors site and download the detection code for the newest viruses. Or, you can check their site from time to time to make sure your software is up to date. Remember, However you do it, be sure to do it.

> Don't open email attachments from people you don't know. This is critically important because many of the newer viruses are spread these days through the internet by means of e-mail attachments. Sometimes, this may be a person you do know, who may be unwillingly passing you virus code. It is important to understand that simply opening an email will not set it off, opening the attachment in the email, will.

> Don't download files from the internet unless you have virus protection software that scans them for viruses. Also, think twice about the site you're considering downloading from. Is it a company with a reputation at stake, or an unknown individual?

> Consider disabling your browsers ability to handle pages that contain JavaScript, Java Code, or ActiveX controls. This doesn't always mean you can't view the page -- just the parts with the ActiveX controls or Java/JavaScript. You can always reset your browser to handle those components if you need to. If you don't want to do this, try viewing the source of the website to look for javascript code or ActiveX controls.

> Keep up with news. Major outbreaks are reported on national, even local (depending on where you live) news, in newspapers, and on websites such as cnet.com

> Back your data up frequently. Viruses are scary, but not backing up regularly is scarier. Any of a large number of random external events-- flood,fire,power surges,vibration-- could destroy data on your hard disk, and it could happen at any time. Backing up regularly is more important (IMHO) than keeping up to date on the latest A/V programs.

> Don't use pirated software, especially games. First of all, it isn't nice to use commercial software you didn't pay for. Most software operations are mom-and-pop operations that barely get by. More relavent from the current discussion, but sometimes people who give you illegal programs tend to put virii into pirated software, which is another good reason not to use it.

> Avoid Web-Sites that cater to self-proclaimed "hackers." These tend to have pirated software anyway, and the software generally isn't scanned or screened. The same idiots who think it's okay to distribute and crack programs are the same ones who think it's okay to insert a virus into the cracked game/application.

> Stick to big shareware download sites such as Tucows or PC Magazine, and website's that require registration from their user's. In that sense, if someone registered and uploaded a virus program, the owners can go after to them. So, you normally don't find virii at these type sites.

> Write-protect any floppy you put in your drive, if possible. This is particularly important when installing a new piece of software: You don't want your master copy of a program to become infected. Also, try to leave your floppy disk empty whenever you can. Boot sector viruses can't get at your harddisk if you don't have an infected floppy.

Alrighty, that's it. I hope some people learned from it and found it informative and helpful. I understand this has been covered before, I'm sorry, but their are new users registering as we speak and people going and I want to bring a new tutorial to them, with a little step by step type guide. Again, I hope everyone found it resourceful and that they will benefit from it!
    Space For Rent.. =]

<quote>Avoid Web-Sites that cater to self-proclaimed "hackers</quote>

I agree with u Spyder32.And to all AO members, believe i face the problems before. I download crack from anymous site(not sure bout spelling, sorry).Although u have powerful antivirus but it cannot detect virus when u install software. And the only thing u can do is(from my past experience) u hace to do it manually. You're lucky enough if it is stupid virus, but wat happen if it is powerful virus. well obviously u gonna destroy your pc.
    ok that for add.

thanks. tell me if I'm wrong
    and to u Spyder32 nice job and keep a good job in your future tut.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the great response I have gotten thus far in reguards to my tutorial. I've gotten loads of pm's and everything for writing a pretty good tutorial. I just wanted to say thank you to the great response!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Nice first tut grasshopper

Keep 'em coming
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Lmfao, Grasshopper! Yeah, I guess I am a "newbie" to tutorial writing but I can guarentee that I will be writing alot more. Thank's everyone who liked my tutorial and the positive feedback I recieved. NTSA> I will definitely keep them coming, btw.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Good tutorial. Just want to add one suggestion. Anonymous browsers are a guy/gal's best friend. If you get a link your not sure about, you may want to check out the source code from samspade.org to make sure it doesn't have a force download.

Nathan

And that's a great piece of advice detoxsmurf! Yeah, that's very true because if your browsing anonymously, if you enter chat's or forums or whatever, you will be anonymous to the other people and especially in certain chat rooms when obtaining your IP wouldn't be difficult.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Great tutorial. Short and easy to understand, well done. For anyone who uses Outlook Express you might want to consider setting it to use the Restricted Sites Zone in :- Tools > Options > Security. Then make sure that your restricted sites zone in Internet Explorer is shut down tight by disabling everything you can.

Yeah, mooky, I'm thinking of doing an Outlook Express Tutorial used to help people use it better, understand it better, and protect themselves from the dangers that can come with using it. Thanks again for the great comments and feedback everyone!
    Space For Rent.. =]