Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Linux Course

Free Linux Course

If there is anyone out in AO world who wants to get into Linux, I found a free online course. Hope that someone out there puts it to good use!

It covers basic tools, desktop admin, server installation and server services.

http://www.mandrakecampus.com/
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Cool

Thanks! *SoggyBottom* for the info! I it helps me a lot!

rjhaey!

Knowledge is just power of an Imagination!

Just wondering what is the difference between Mandrake Linux and, say, RedHat Linux, and is one easier/better (subjective opinion there) than the other? The ones i have bought always came with a large book and the program disks glued to the back covers.

Thanks Soggy Bottom,

Am just starting to get into Linux and this seems like just the thing along with the tutes here on AO.
    DaveH
    -----------------------------
    it\'s all 1001011001 to me!

I love Linux, and I believe that's a good thing. The fact that you pointed me into this is even better because I always am looking to further my knowledge at anything I do, or anything I don't. Thank you for posting that link and I hope that I benefit from the course.
    Space For Rent.. =]

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    The Old Man> Linux is linux is linux. There are a lot of small differences, like installation, package management, etc between them, and the best is all bassed on personal preference and what you want to get out of it. If you really wanna learn the OS, go with something like slackware. If you wanna intall the OS and run it, go with Mandrake or Redhat. If you want it to come with lots and lots and lots of stuff, get SuSE. I could go on and on and on, but it isn't worth my time. The main difference is what programs come packaged with it, how the packages are managed, and how the install works.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Originally posted here by The Old Man
    Just wondering what is the difference between Mandrake Linux and, say, RedHat Linux, and is one easier/better (subjective opinion there) than the other? The ones i have bought always came with a large book and the program disks glued to the back covers.
    Mandrake linux was originally based on redhat linux, and is MUCH easier to install.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

souleman is right. Linux is linux. They all run on the same kernel. The only big difference is how many useless packages are coupled with the distribution. A default Suse or Redhat install is like >2 gigs which is pretty ridiculous. Go Slackware to get a bar bones understanding.

If you really want to learn an OS however, download OpenBSD. This will give you a good understanding of the *nix like operating systems plus you will be running the most secure OS in the world.

-Xe

Originally posted here by Xenon
    download OpenBSD. This will give you a good understanding of the *nix like operating systems plus you will be running the most secure OS in the world.

-Xe
    agreed on all points.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

I am a part of a different free linux course, online with a mailing list. I have found it to be extreamly helpfull for anyone interested in linux weather your advanced or not. Check it out:

BasicLinux

enjoy!
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/