Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Banned Games

Banned
    So the Greece Government has turned the legislation against video games? You can now play games without facing 3 months in prison?

Awesome! Now I don't worry about going to Greece (if I were to )

Thanks for the information.

Why is it that they turned the legislation, anyways? Was there a loud outcry by the public?
    Let me know if ya know

Everybody in Greece was against the law except the stupit and idiot politics of course. Especially internet cafe were agianst too, but not only they when the progress of the course of judgment were on many young people were outside with flags and things like that shouting about this law.
    Also there were another law especially for net cafes. An owner of a net cafe has climbed up to the White Tower of Thesaloniki and cover a part of the tower with a flag saying:"Stop the judgment of the Internet".

Everybody in Greece was against the law except the stupit and idiot politics of course. Especially internet cafe were agianst too, but not only they when the progress of the course of judgment were on many young people were outside with flags and things like that shouting about this law.
    Also there were another law especially for net cafes. An owner of a net cafe has climbed up to the White Tower of Thesaloniki and cover a part of the tower with a flag saying:"Stop the judgment of the Internet".

hi
    here in germany there was during this summer the highschool schooting by an ex student ( I think 18 died or so ) . The Press went mad about this story, they wrote " the gunman played everyday hours of hours counter strike " . But later ( after 2 month or so ), they had to admit that the ex student had no copy of it. they used this as a major headline against video games. when you order a copy of mohaa or castle wolfenstein, you go to jail! first ( mohaa us version is banned second castle wolfenstein is banned because of its nazi symbols ).
    there was a time here in germany, ( 1933-1945 ) the gouverment used censorship to brainwash the germans. nowaday we do not need a gouverment, the press instead uses its power to manipulate the people.
    to get a copy of those two games ( us version ) you have to go to the internet and download it from a warez ..
    the german versions sucks !!

hi
    here in germany there was during this summer the highschool schooting by an ex student ( I think 18 died or so ) . The Press went mad about this story, they wrote " the gunman played everyday hours of hours counter strike " . But later ( after 2 month or so ), they had to admit that the ex student had no copy of it. they used this as a major headline against video games. when you order a copy of mohaa or castle wolfenstein, you go to jail! first ( mohaa us version is banned second castle wolfenstein is banned because of its nazi symbols ).
    there was a time here in germany, ( 1933-1945 ) the gouverment used censorship to brainwash the germans. nowaday we do not need a gouverment, the press instead uses its power to manipulate the people.
    to get a copy of those two games ( us version ) you have to go to the internet and download it from a warez ..
    the german versions sucks !!

Here in Greece nothing have been banned, everything is welcoming (hups, bad english...). But recently i read that in Italy the game Mafia - The Lost City of Heaven was banned.

Here in Greece nothing have been banned, everything is welcoming (hups, bad english...). But recently i read that in Italy the game Mafia - The Lost City of Heaven was banned.

OK, I can understand the German government banning Wolfenstein in Germany for the Nazi references. Had they not it could be seen as supporting Naziism. But doesn't the 1st Amendment give Americans the right to decide for themselves which media is appropriate for them andf what is not? Or does the 1st amendment not apply to video games?

Here is Canada, our biggest bookstore chain, Chapters, has banned "Mein Kampf", Hitler's autobiography. This is a problem for me bacause although I would like to read it, Chapters has systematically either bought out or crushed all thier competition. How would the 1st amendment apply to this?

I remember seeing "Hannibal" in theatres while sitting next to a child who couldn't have been over 14 or 15, although the movie was quite clearly rated 'R'. They even had a disclaimer at the entrance. Obviously it was not appropriate for a 15 year old.

Yes, some content is clearlt inappropriate for some audiences. But the best rating system in the world, be it for books, movies, or video games cannot replace a parent's judgement, only help them. How about we teach people (and parents) to judge this rather than telling them that thier judgement is invalid and then doing it for them?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

OK, I can understand the German government banning Wolfenstein in Germany for the Nazi references. Had they not it could be seen as supporting Naziism. But doesn't the 1st Amendment give Americans the right to decide for themselves which media is appropriate for them andf what is not? Or does the 1st amendment not apply to video games?

Here is Canada, our biggest bookstore chain, Chapters, has banned "Mein Kampf", Hitler's autobiography. This is a problem for me bacause although I would like to read it, Chapters has systematically either bought out or crushed all thier competition. How would the 1st amendment apply to this?

I remember seeing "Hannibal" in theatres while sitting next to a child who couldn't have been over 14 or 15, although the movie was quite clearly rated 'R'. They even had a disclaimer at the entrance. Obviously it was not appropriate for a 15 year old.

Yes, some content is clearlt inappropriate for some audiences. But the best rating system in the world, be it for books, movies, or video games cannot replace a parent's judgement, only help them. How about we teach people (and parents) to judge this rather than telling them that thier judgement is invalid and then doing it for them?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Banned
    More awesome information!

It is true that the media will quickly run and point the gun to the videogames that people own as the trigger to violence. True that some games have inspired acts towards people, but it could have been a movie (ie: The Cell with the intestine twisted) or a book, or anything. Comparing yesterdays videogames to today, yeah sure, they have gotten quite gory and realistic but so has the movie industry and comicbooks and etc. Friday the 13th 1 was light on gore, but todays Jason has extreme gore, guts and so. So why point the finger at VG? Because not everyone plays games, but everyone watches movies.

Side Note: Man people have gotten paranoid. This article I came across while compiling my search has gotten me scrathing my head. School yard games such as "Tag" are being banned in light to children's safety ?:P Is that not pathetic? How is a kids body suppose to learn how to heal? Kids get hurt one way or another, **** happens. Boy I hope that doesn't happen in Canada. I'll be signing my kids in Hockey. Isn't that worse then TAG?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/uk...00/2158468.stm