Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: router for new OS system

router for new OS system

A friend has said he will install cables and a router for two computers we have. Can any one tell me what is a good router to buy that is compatible with XP. You guys would probably know Thanks Auntie
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.

Ummmm....a router for two computers is pretty serious overkill...is there something else in the loop like an internet connection?

Routers are independent of any operating system and/or device. They serve one purpose (ok ok in theory, yes i know it can act like a firewall and do content filtering and caching and whatever other features you chose to buy), and that is to route between different networks over a selected media.

It would be very helpful if you were to explain your situation/setup a little more. With that information, I could make a more helpful/specific recommendation.

/Nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

i agree with nebulas that its probabley overkill, unless your sharing a broadband internet connection. if so i would recommend getting a linksys router, thats what i use with XP and its great.

One option you might want to look is getting a wireless router. If you end up moving any pcs around you don't have to hassle with the cabling. I've got a d-link DI614+ and it works great. Last I checked you could get one for $120 on Pricewatch.com.
    Love is the only reality of the world, because it is all One, you see. And the only laws are paradox, humor, and change. There is no problem, never was, never will be. Release your struggle, let go of your mind, throw away your concerns, and relax into the world.

Dan Millman, The Way of The Peaceful Warrior

Wireless is FANTASTIC if you want to provide access to your network to the whole neigborhood however, assuming you want this to route some sort of internet connection, may I suggest a wired router as for 2 machines there aint much cable involved. I use a siemens Speedstream and it works well. Think I've seen them on special for like $60.
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Wireless is nice but unfortunately quite insecure right now...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

if you lived next door to me id say go wireless :-)

i have to agree with caffeine20...linksys.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I find it confusing that those little home routers are even called routers. They have very little in common with the larger ones found in offices and schools. But I guess as long as it forwards packets based on ip it’s a router.

Linksys seems to be most popular right now so you might want to look into those. As for wireless or not it mostly depends on were the computers are.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I have gotten plenty of advice which I will tell Bob( my son's friend when he comes to do this) . Who knows maybe a few light thousand years away I could be a programmer if I stick with it. Thanks from Auntie
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.

Hehehe, if your lucky you might be able to split the bill with your neighbors. I haven't seen anyone on yet... Your average Joe doesn't know how to crack wep...
    Love is the only reality of the world, because it is all One, you see. And the only laws are paradox, humor, and change. There is no problem, never was, never will be. Release your struggle, let go of your mind, throw away your concerns, and relax into the world.

Dan Millman, The Way of The Peaceful Warrior