Win XP PRo Security

Thread: Win XP PRo Security

Win XP PRo Security

I'm still new for that XP Pro thing,
    but, is it available for me as an Admin for the machine to secure some folder and a non_ms office files with password ?
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

Yes you can... I do not remember all of the steps but the help and support can tell you how to do what you are looking to do...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

To really secure files with a password I would buy PGP. It has a function called PGPdisk that will partition off a section of your hardrive. When you want to use it, you will be able to "mount" it but unlocking it with your secret key. I am pretty sure you can only get this function in the registered version. The freeware version should be able to lock files for you though.

-Xe

XP pro can encrypt data on your hard disk if you use an ntfs partition. I didn't try this feature, so I can't give you more details, it is in the properties of your files/folders.

You can also use PGP (or GPG) to secure your files in an independant maneer (if you're paranoid)
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

All security junkies are at least a little bit paranoid

XP Pro does have its own encryption built in. If you encrypt a file/folder you can secure it to that user only ( search for encryption in the XP help ). In addition PGP suite currently does not support XP.... yet. CA sold it and the new owners will have an XP version available in Oct. the web site is http://www.pgp.com
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

I just found out how to encrypt files via XP.

Right Click on the file intended for encryption and choose properties.
    Under attributes go to "Advanced"
    There is an option in there to encrypt.

To highlight encrypted files in XP:
    Tools > Folder Options > View > Show encrypted or compressed files in color

Hope this helps!

-Xe

You might need to install a special XP plug-in or something though

I could not do it on Windows XP Home but it is easy to do on Windows 2000 or XP Pro. I dont think it secures the file with a password yet uses a local certificate.

Caveat - If reload your machine and loose the certificate used to decrypt the file, you will never get your encrypted files back

-Xe

The Iceman Cometh
    Caveat - If reload your machine and loose the certificate used to decrypt the file, you will never get your encrypted files back
    That's not entirely accurate. Once you format and lose the certificate, you will be able to take ownership of the folder(s)/file(s). Simply right click on the file/folder and go to Sharing. Click "Advanced" and, as an adminitrator, you can reclaim ownership of the file(s)/folder(s).

AJ

Yeah that is correct. Thanks for clearing that up *avden*!

-Xe