Thread: Redhat 8.0 supports Prism2 chipset?

Redhat 8.0 supports Prism2 chipset?

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew if the default install of RedHat 8.0 supports the 802.11b Prism2 chipset (Linksys, D-Link, etc.) out of the box? Do you still have to use the wlan-ng drivers or does Redhat support them without installing custom packages?

I do not have access to the software here and need to know this information before I make a decision to upgrade.

Has anyone noticed any other bugs in the new release? Besides the mp3 playback?

Thanks in advance.

-Xe

Computer Forensics
    new bugs in the install ? why yes...how about locking up consistently in the graphical install. everyone I have talked to has had issues with the install at one point or another. and the bluecurve gui sucks too imo.

As for prism2 chipsets, yes it does support them I myself am running and have run the orinoco gold/silver card as well as a linksys WPC 11, both of which are prism2 based. just install the wireless-tools package and the kernel-pcmcia-cs package and you should be fine.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

I am pretty sure the Orinoco brand of cards runs off the Hermes chipset. The Linksys runs off the PrismII chipset. I would presume the latest pcmcia driver package must have support for both now.

Thanks for your help!

~Xe

Computer Forensics
    I will concede that it runs off of the hermes chipset...but the hermes chipset is a mutation of the prism2 chipset.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust