Thread: More Red Hat 8.0 Questions

More Red Hat 8.0 Questions

My Mom's box is pretty old and I want to build her a new one but cost is an issue. It's just a box for word processing, surfing the Net and using Graphics software. I had the cost down untill I realised I was gonna have to buy a new copy of Winblows (XP Home Probably). This pisses me off that I gotta spend $200 bucks just for XP (I'm NOT USING Me) just to get the box going. I was thinking of using Red Hat 8.0 instead. Does anybody here know how good the Windows support is with Red Hat and will my Mom get accustomed to Red Hat 8.0 (she's good with Windows)?

I wouldnt recommend switching OS's on here. She is probably used to the Office suite products and such. Switching will most likely make it harder for her.

At least it would for my mother.

-Xe

However, The KDE and Gnome window managers provided with Redhat do provide a "windows" similarity that might prevent her from going crazy.

Originally posted here by Xenon
    I wouldnt recommend switching OS's on here. She is probably used to the Office suite products and such. Switching will most likely make it harder for her.

At least it would for my mother.

-Xe

However, The KDE and Gnome window managers provided with Redhat do provide a "windows" similarity that might prevent her from going crazy.
    Actually, I was looking at the Red Hat Interface and It's VERY Windows like (better than when I had FreeBSD 4.5 and KDE on her box which drove me up the wall, partly because I fubarred the install). It looks like a breeze to set up and get going and easy for Mom to use. My Main concern is how hard is it to get Windows programs to run well on Red Hat (she dosen't play high end games). Anybody ever play with this part of Red Hat yet?

Yeah, from what I can see, Bluecurve is a VERY nice interface. I just installed it a couple of days ago and haven't had much time to play with it, but it looks like a real desktop contender to me. OpenOffice by default for the office suite, as well as Evolution, Galeon, and the Gimp..... quite a potent combination.

As far as Windows compatibility goes, Win4Lin is the only game in town for my money. It costs a few bucks, but it's worth it if you really need to run Windows apps reliably. 'Reliably' being the operative word there. VMWare is too slow and expensive, and wine is too much work and too much of a hit-or-miss proposition for me.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Personally, I wouldn't switch to RedHat just yet, I'd maybe start her off with Mandrake and then go to Redhat because, although they are both meant for Linux Newbies (maybe linux oldies as well, Mandrake should help your mom become more accustom to Linux. Just my personal advice and opinion.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Another question: I'm sure all you guys know what the Print Shop is....does anybody know if there's a Linux port of this thing arond anywhere (yes I used Google lol) that will read Print Shop files?

Re: More Red Hat 8.0 Questions

Originally posted here by Ratman2
    My Mom's box is pretty old ...

I just couldn't resist! Sorry, RatMan

Man, what is it with you guys and Ratman's mom's box? ROTFLMFAO

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=234090

BTW... the title of that thread was golden before it got changed.

Paging Dr. Freud.....
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!