Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Follow the leader

GreekGoddess
    I post my opinion when I feel like it. And if people don't like it...nah nah nah nah nah naaaaaaah *taunts*

i think its just human nature. when most people join a group, any kind of group, they do so because they want to belong to that group.

when im new to a situation i dont really know whats acceptable or how far i can go without being insulting etc. nobody really likes being a newbie to anything. its a humbeling experiance. but i alway have to go threw accepting /being accepted before im comfortable enough to be myself ...if i want to be a part of that group. its not an initiation process its just a part of life.

i don't think its fair to knock people for being people. some are more confident from the start because they have more experiance dealing with others. some are compleatly new to it. give a kid a break!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I'm sorry, but I sincerely don't understand the point of this whole thread. If you're worried about negs that much...don't post.

If you have an opinion you feel strongly about, post it. But please stop griping about the negs you get....which is all this is, a thinly veiled whining about negs post again.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

I think you're missing the point.It's not a gripe about negs,actually I've went from a grey dot to 2 greens in the last 3 days,my only gripe about the points was because the person who assigned them to me didn't read what I posted.
    This post is about trying to get people not to follow others opinions and state their own opinion no matter what the consequences,and to get members with tons of AP's to take it easy on the newbies doing their first post and give them a chance to say something worth listening to before negging them to death.It's not a gripe about negs it's a gripe about how people don't think before they start throwing them around,which lowers the quality of the site by not allowing members to express themselves as they normally would.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

The purpose of this website is to share information and learn. I really don't care about getting negged anymore. People neg me for some of the stupidest reasons. On the god vs god one I got negged with a reason of "ah yes good valid point raise," and when I pushed for a bit more discussion than the run of the mill "I aggree" bullsh**t I got negged for being off topic. I thought that both were kind of humorous. This whole AP system needs some major fine tuning if not being thrown out. People caring about the respect end of things can get their respect like the real world by other people remembering them and what they say.
    Love is the only reality of the world, because it is all One, you see. And the only laws are paradox, humor, and change. There is no problem, never was, never will be. Release your struggle, let go of your mind, throw away your concerns, and relax into the world.

Dan Millman, The Way of The Peaceful Warrior

Old Fart
    heh...and here I've been thinking that I was actually speaking my mind.

/me wanders back to the 'herd'
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I try not to post unless I have something to say that will feed the discussion, hmmm, I believe it was Mr allenb1963 who refered to me as the "Don Rickles" of AntiOnline...LOL I only insult the people I like, so Al "your mother is a hamster, and your father smells of elder berries" (a bit of Monty Python humor....

Anyway gghornet, I agree that there are lots of tiny little posts like you describe. These are from those who just "have to" put something in to make themselves feel like they are "noticed" as for the neg thing...well I just try to stay away from these types of threads...oops! Now da**it, you made me make a liar of myself. Ok...Ok... I do post to these threads, and it usually costs me, I'll send you a bill later.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having another opinion and posting it. But I think that there is something wrong if all people are negging someone just because he has got the balls to post his ideas. Poeple are different, that is a matter of fact. So let us accept that.
    For example in this God vs. God thread: one user was apparently negged just for posting he is not going to church. That is not the style. We are heading to some sort of fundamentalism here and that is not for good.
    But I also think that "c'est le ton qui fait la musique" so it depends on HOW you are telling the others that your opinion is different and you do not agree with them.

I'm sorry, but I sincerely don't understand the point of this whole thread. If you're worried about negs that much...don't post.
    I think what he's getting at is what is known in First Amendment law as a chilling effect. Any time you have a system that allows people to punish others for any reason or no reason, it will have a chilling effect on expression. It's human nature. There will always be people who see the system as a way of suppressing or punishing certain opinions, and as such, other people will hold their tongues for fear of reprisal.

Expression becomes bland and the quality of the boards begins to atrophy. But that's the price we pay for a self-governing community like AO. We police ourselves to keep the skiddies and spammers out, and by and large we do a very good job of that. But since 120,000 people all have a different opinion on what deserves negs and what doesn't, there's really no way to prevent it from becoming a bludgeon to punish - and hence suppress - opinions.

A while back I got negged badly for saying that I thought Lindows was a piece of crap that would never work, and just today I got a neg for saying that I liked Red Hat's controversial Bluecurve interface. I don't care because I've been fortunate enough to accumulate enough points that I don't have to worry about it. But I got my points in part by avoiding controversial topics on religion and politics that I knew were bound to offend somebody on here. Nowadays, I choose to avoid those topics just because I don't like them, not because I fear negs. Accumulating greens is only half the battle toward free expression. Avoiding reds is the other half.

I do find it a little funny that the people who say to ignore negs are always the people who have plenty of points and can speak without fear of reprisal. For the newbie with 10 points who might be banned for expressing a very unpopular idea, however legitimate, it's a very big deal and I think it's important for seniors to appreciate that not everybody can afford to speak freely.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

It's a gas!
    Follow the leader?

How ironic, this post is taking a similar shape to what you guys are talking about!
    gghornet started with his opinion and sure enough, the leader was followed!
    Coincidence? I think not!

r3b00+